No.

Photo

Class

Wheel Arrang't

Builder's No & Year

Status

Location

Notes

5' 3" Gauge

F 176

F

2-4-2T

Phoenix Foundry 61 of 1879

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

F 176 started its career as a 2-4-0 tender locomotive.  It was rebuilt to 2-4-2T configuration in 1911 for use as a "motor engine" on light traffic branch lines.  Following withdrawal by the Victorian Railways in 1920, F 176 was sold to H. V. Mackay for shunting duties at their Sunshine Harvester Works.  It was retired in 1961 and donated to the Australian Railway Historical Society (Victoria Division).

T 94

T

0-6-0

Phoenix Foundry 144 of 1884

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

The Victorian Railways T-class locomotives were a classic British inside-cylinder 0-6-0 designed for mixed traffic duties.  T 94 survived after many years shunting at the Newport Power Station.  It is displayed at the ARHS Museum at North Williamstown.

2

-

0-6-0CT

Dubs 2711 of 1890

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

No.2 is a crane locomotive of 5 ton lifting capacity.  It was mainly used at the Newport Workshops before being written off by the Victorian Railways in February 1970.

Z 526

Z

0-6-0T

Victorian Railways, built 1893

Display

Scienceworks Museum, Spotswood, Melbourne

Z 256 was the first locomotive built at Newport Workshops. It was originally constructed to a conventional 0-6-0T configuration for trip and suburban workings, but was converted to 0-6-0CT crane-tank configuration in 1903.  Polly was written off by the Victorian Railways as late as June 1978.   It was converted back to its original 0-6-0T form in 1983 for museum display.

E 236

E

2-4-2T

David Munro & Co 18 of 1893

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

E 236 was originally used for Melbourne suburban trains prior to electrification of the city railway network.

E 369

E

0-6-2

David Munro & Co 12 of 1892

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

E 369 was rebuilt to 0-6-2T from its original 2-4-2Tconfiguration; E 236 above represents the original design.

E 371

E

0-6-2

David Munro & Co 13 of 1892

Display

Victorian Goldfields Railway, Maldon

E 371 was rebuilt to 0-6-2T from its original 2-4-2T configuration. It survived into the 1970's as a shunter at Newport workshops.  E 371 was dismantled for assessment at Maldon in 1992 but the report was not favourable and hence it was reassembled (sans boiler cladding, most fittings and numberplates) and placed on display at Maldon station.

Y 108

Y

0-6-0

Phoenix Foundry 226 of 1889

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

Y 108 is statically displayed at the ARHS Railway Museum at North Williamstown.

Y 109

Y

0-6-0

Phoenix Foundry 235 of 1889

Stored

(Converted to diesel; incomplete)

Ballarat East Depot

Y 109 was sold by the Victorian Railways to an industrial user where it was converted to a diesel-mechanical locomotive by removing the boiler and mounting a diesel engine and transmission on the frames.  The remains of Y 109 are stored at Ballarat East Depot and yielded some parts to assist in the restoration of sister locomotive Y 112.

Y 112

Y

0-6-0

Phoenix Foundry 238 of 1889

Operational

Steamrail Victoria, Ballarat East Depot

Y 112 was plinthed at Ballarat during the 1970's and is owned by the Sovereign Hill Museums Association.  It was leased to Steamrail Victoria in the 1980's and restored to mainline operation. Y 112 features an attractive lined apple green livery and has performed various rail tours around Victoria during the 1990's.  It is normally based at Steamrail's Ballarat East depot.

V 499

V

2-8-0

Replica

Under construction

Victorian Goldfields Railway, Maldon

The V-class 2-8-0 locomotives were a classic Baldwin product of the 1890's and represented a major evolution in Victorian Railways steam locomotives, being much larger than the 0-6-0's then generally in freight service. All were scrapped but a group has formed to build a replica to be known as V 499.

K 151

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1940

Stored

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

I believe K 151 ended its career as a stationary boiler.  K 151 is now partially stripped and stored in the depths of Newport Workshops, ostensibly as heavy spares for sister locomotives.

K 153

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1940

Operational

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

K 153 had been under heavy overhaul by Steamrail volunteers after extensive railtour use.  It was released back into service in November 2003.

K 154

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1940

Workshop

K154 Preservation Group, Newport

Upon withdrawal K 154 hauled a final tour train to Sale and subsequently ran light (over temporary track) into the Gippsland Folk Museum at Moe, which recreates an early Gippsland town scene.  Here is was statically displayed but eventually became derelict in the wet Gippsland climate. K 154 was acquired by a new owner 'the K 154 Preservation Group' and is now the subject to an interesting project to rebuild it as an N-class locomotive for use on mail-line tour trains.

K 157

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1940

Stored

Victorian Goldfields Railway, Maldon

K 157 is displayed in the goods yard at the Victorian Goldfields Railway's Maldon station while it awaits restoration to working order.

K 159

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1940

Plinthed

Hamilton

K 159 has been plinthed at Hamilton for many years.  It was recovered by the Mornington Railway Preservation Society in 1997 and transferred to Moorooduc for eventual restoration.  In its place a Hamilton, the Mornington Railway Preservation Society assembled a replacement locomotive using expired components.  The locomotive at Hamilton comprises K 177's frames & coupled wheels, K 174's pony truck & boiler and K 159's tender.

K 160

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1940

Operational

Victorian Goldfields Railway, Maldon

K 160 is preserved in operational condition on the Victorian Goldfields Railway and is based a their Maldon depot.

K 162

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1941

Plinthed

Yarragon

K 162 is plinthed at Yarragon but numbered K 183.  This is because K 162 was formerly operated as a railtour engine by Steamrail but became worn-out and was swapped for K 183 (which was plinthed at Yarragon) in 1982.

K 163

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1941

Operational

Mornington Railway Preservation Society, Moorooduc

K 163 was plinthed in a Frankston park until 1985 when obtained for restoration by the fledgling Mornington Railway Preservation Society.  It has since become their regular running locomotive.

 K 165

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1941

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

K 165 is displayed at the Australian Railway Historical Society (Victoria Division) museum at North Williamstown.

K 167

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1941

Plinthed

Wycheproof

K 167 is plinthed near the railway station at Wycheproof.

K 169

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1941

Display

Coal Creek Museum, Korumburra

K 169 and several carriages are displayed at a recreated station scene at the Coal Creek Museum, Korumburra.  Live steam piped to the whistle and cylinder drain cocks to give the impression of K 169 being ready to depart the station, although it never has!

K 174

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1941

Stored

Mornington Railway Preservation Society, Moorooduc

K 174 was plinthed in a park at Fitzroy until it was acquired by the Mornington Railway Preservation Society and moved to Moorooduc by road on 18 May 1997.

K 175

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1941

Plinthed

Mildura

K 175 is plinthed in a Mildura park.

K 176

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1941

Stored

Seymour Railway Heritage Centre

K 176 had been plinthed for many years at Deniliquin, NSW, and displayed on the old turntable. It was subsequently acquired by Seymour Railway Heritage Centre for future restoration.

K 177

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1941

Workshop

Mornington Railway Preservation Society, Moorooduc

K 177 had been an outdoor exhibit at the Langhi Morgala Museum at Ararat in Western Victoria.  K 177 was subsequently acquired by the Mornington Railway Preservation Society for restoration to operation.

K 181

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1943

Plinthed

Numurkah

K 181 is plinthed in a park at Numurkah.  It is displayed alongside a faux station platform, with the station canopy acting as a weather roof over the locomotive.

K 183

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1943

Stored - Accident Damage

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

K 183 had been plinthed in a park at Yarragon.  In 1982 the locomotive unit was swapped for worn-out sister K 162 and restored for main-line excursions.  Update:  K 183 was damaged in a tragic accident on Sunday 13 October 2002, killing three of the footplate crew and severely injuring a fourth.  K183 has since been stored damaged at Newport Workshops

K 184

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1945

Stored

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

K 184 was used on railtour duty by Steamrail Victoria until 1980.  It has since been stored at Newport Workshops.

K 190

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1946

Operational

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

K 190 is maintained by Steamrail Victoria and based at Newport Workshops.  During the 1990's it wore an attractive apple green livery and was hired for a period to the South Gippsland Railway.

K 191

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1946

Stored

Mornington Railway Preservation Society, Moorooduc

K 191 had been plinthed in a park in Wangaratta. The Mornington Railway Preservation Society acquired K 191 and road-hauled the locomotive to their Moorooduc base in February 2001. K 191 is now dismantled and under restoration at the MRPS depot at Moorooduc.

K 192

K

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1946

Display

State Mine Museum, Wonthaggi

K 192 had been plinthed in Apex Park, Wonthaggi from 1968 to 1998, where it carried the identity K 170.  In 1998 it moved to the State Mine Museum, Wonthaggi, where it has since been returned to its original number K 192 and cosmetically restored including new boiler clothing and repainting.

J 507

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6053 of 1954

Plinthed

Mulwala, NSW

J 507 is one of the first 30 J class locos (J500-J529) which were coal burners.  While most J-class locos were scrapped between 1968 and 1970,  J 507 survived a few years longer after being retained as a shunter at Newport workshops from 1970 to 1972.  J 507 is now plinthed in a lakeside park at Mulwala, NSW.

J 512

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6058 of 1954

Workshop

Seymour Railway Heritage Centre

J 512 survived a few years longer than most of her sisters after being retained as a shunter at Newport Workshops from 1970 to 1972.  It is now the subject of an interesting project to convert it to standard gauge, for which the J-class locomotives were originally designed but none were ever converted.  This work includes narrowing the frames and adjusting the wheels centres on the axles.

J 515

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6061 of 1954

Operational

Seymour Railway Heritage Centre

J 515 became the last J-class used by the Victorian Railways when retired from shunting duties at Newport Workshops in 1978.  In 1984 it was transferred to Seymour for restoration, becoming the founding project of the Seymour Railway Heritage Centre.  J 515 has been beautifully restored to mail line operation and is now named HAROLD P. WARD.

J 516

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6062 of 1954

Under overhaul

Yarra Valley Railway, Healesville

J 516 had been plinthed in the Melbourne suburb of Greensborough from 1975 until acquired by Healesville Railway Co-operative and transferred to Healesville in 1990.  It is now being restored for operation on the Yarra Valley Railway.

J 524

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6070 of 1954

Plinthed

Donald

J 524 has been plinthed in a park in the Victorian wheat belt town of Donald since 1968.

J 536

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6082 of 1954

Workshops

R707 Operations, Newport

J 536 is one of the 30 J class locos (J 530-J 559) which were built as oil burners.  J 536 was purchased by Colac City Council in 1970 and plinthed at Colac station from 1972.  In 1997 it was acquired by West Coast Railway and moved to their site at the old Ballarat East Depot.   J 536 was acquired by R 707 Operations Inc. during 2004 and transferred to Newport, where it is being dismantled for restoration.

J 539

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6085 of 1954

Plinthed

Dimboola

J 539 is an oil burner. It was purchased for preservation in 1974 and plinthed in the Victorian wheat belt town of Dimboola in 1975.

J 541

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6087 of 1954

Operational

Victorian Goldfields Railway, Maldon

J 541 was privately purchased for preservation in 1977 and subsequently stored at a number of locations within Victoria.  It had been stored (together with sister J 516) at the Yarra Valley Tourist Railway, Healesville from the 1980's until December 2003 when it was transferred to the Menzies Creek Museum of the Puffing Billy Railway, for contact restoration.   J 541's contract restoration is now complete and it was transferred to Maldon on 15 June 2007.  Following certification, its first day in service on the VGR was on 5 September 2007.

J 549

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6095 of 1954

Workshop

Victorian Goldfields Railway, Maldon

J 549 was sold to the Castlemaine & Maldon Preservation Society for preservation in 1979. Since restoration J 549 has been the regular service loco on the Victorian Goldfields Railway.

J 550

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6146 of 1954

For Restoration

Noojee

J 550 had been displayed at the old Mirboo North station from 1974 until acquired by Steamrail in 1985 and moved to Warragul in exchange for A2 986.  After many years plinthed at Warragul, J550 was acquired by a preservation group and transferred to Noojee on 27 March 2013 for intended restoration.

J 556

J

2-8-0

Vulcan Foundry 6152 of 1954

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

J 556 has been displayed at the ARHS museum at North Williamstown since 1968. It is preserved with the identity and number plates of scrapped sister J 559, which was historically significant as in December 1954 it became the last steam locomotive to enter service with the Victorian Railways.  Unfortunately J 559 was scrapped in December 1967.

C 10

C

2-8-0

Victorian Railways, built 1922

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

The C-class 2-8-0 locomotives were designed for main-line service, with the first example completed at Newport Workshops in 1918.  Modern features on these locomotives included electric lighting, automatic staff exchangers, Walschaerts valve gear and the standard Victorian Railways smokebox / front end design.  Preserved locomotive C 10 was withdrawn from Victorian Railways service in 1962.

X 36

X

2-8-2

Victorian Railways, built 1929

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

The X-class 2-8-2 were designed as main line freight locomotives, with 29 built at the Victorian Railway's Newport Workshops between 1929 and 1949.  Preserved locomotive X 36 was the last class member in operation when withdrawn from service in 1961.

N 432

N

2-8-2

Victorian Railways, built 1951

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

N 432 was the last steam locomotive built by the Victorian Railways at their Newport Workshops.  83 N-class locomotives were constructed by Newport Workshops (33) and the North British Locomotive Company, Glasgow (50).  N 432 is the last original N-class locomotive surviving in Victoria and is statically displayed at the ARHS Museum at North Williamstown.

N 441

N 441 is a new-build project based on the frames of K 154

N 477

N 477 was sold to the South Australian Railways in 1951 and renumbered to 752.

H 220

H

4-8-4

VR Newport Workshops, built 1941

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

H 220 was designed as a 3-cylinder express passenger locomotive.  When built it was the largest and heaviest locomotive in Australia and earned the nickname "Heavy Harry".

D2 604

D2

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 5548 of 1912

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

D2 604 is the only surviving D2 locomotive, and differs from the D3 class by having a slightly smaller boiler.  D2 604 was sold to Australian Paper Manufacturers Ltd in 1956 for use as a shunter.  It was converted to oil-burning by APM & still has its converted tender, consisting of an oil-burner A2 tender tank on a D2 tender frame. This photo of 10 May 2003 shows D2 604 displayed at the ARHS museum at North Williamstown.

D3 608

D3

4-6-0

VR Newport Workshops, built 1915

Stored

Steamrail Victoria, Ballarat East Depot

D3 608 had been plinthed in a park in Stawell for many years until obtained by Steamrail Victoria in the mid-1980's.  It was transferred to Ballarat for storage around this time and apparently stripped of corroded metal, including the tender tank.  In more recent years it has been stored at the Ballarat East Loco Depot.

D3 619

D3

4-6-0

VR Newport Workshops, built 1914

Stored

Victorian Goldfields Railway, Maldon

D3 619 had been plinthed at the Bendigo Railway Workshops for many years.  In the late 1990's the boiler clothing and other parts were stripped and the loco assessed for restoration for main line operation, with the intention that it would be used between Bendigo and Echuca.  This restoration initiative apparently stalled.   D3 619 has now been acquired by the Victorian Goldfields Railway and moved to Maldon on Thursday 5th January 2012.

D3 635

D3

4-6-0

Baldwin 36888 of 1911

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

D3 635 is one of only a few Baldwin locomotives surviving in Australia.

D3 638

D3

4-6-0

VR Newport Workshops, built 1916

Stored

Steamrail Victoria, Ballarat East Depot

D3 638 was plinthed in a park at Rosebud for many years.  In more recent times it has been stored at the Ballarat East Depot site of WCR with sisters 608, 641 and 688.  D3 638, D3 641 and D3 688 were purchased from WCR by Steamrail Victoria in late 2004 and are now stored at the Steamrail compound at Ballarat East depot.

D3 639

D3

4-6-0

VR Newport Workshops, built 1903

Operational

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

D3 639 was used to haul the VR Commissioner's inspection train for many years.  When the original D3 639 was withdrawn and scrapped, sister loco D3 658 was renumbered to 639 in its place. Accordingly this preserved locomotive occasionally carries the number D3 658.

D3 640

D3

4-6-0

Thompsons of Castlemaine, 1 of 1914

Display

Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement

D3 640 is displayed within the grounds of the excellent Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement museum.  It carried the number D3 688 when originally preserved at Swan Hill, however was returned to its D3 640 number in the 1970's by a group of rail enthusiasts.

D3 641

D3

4-6-0

VR Newport Workshops, built 1915

Stored

Steamrail Victoria, Ballarat East Depot

D3 641 was plinthed in a park at Beaufort for many years.  In more recent times it has been stored at the Ballarat East Depot site of West Coast Railway with sisters 608, 638 and 688.  D3 638, D3 641 and D3 688 were purchased from West Coast Railway by Steamrail Victoria in late 2004 and are now stored at the Steamrail compound at Ballarat East depot.

D3 646

D3

4-6-0

VR Newport Workshops, built 1905

Stored

Victorian Goldfields Railway, Maldon

D3 646 had been plinthed outside the Maryborough railway station until acquired in approximately 1994 by the Victorian Goldfields Railway for eventual restoration to operation.

D3 653

D3

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1908

Plinthed

Ballarat North Workshops

D3 653 is plinthed at the entrance to the Ballarat North workshops.

D3 666

D3

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1919

Plinthed

Bayswater Park, Bayswater

D3 666 is plinthed in Bayswater Park in the Melbourne suburbs, where it is displayed in red livery and kept under a weather roof.

D3 671

D3

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1917

Plinthed

Lismore

D3 671 is plinthed in Brown's Waterhole Park, Lismore.

D3 677

D3

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1917

Stored

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

D3 677 had been plinthed in a park at Ringwood for many years until acquired by Steamrail and placed into storage at Newport.  Ostensibly the loco is kept as heavy spares for operable Steamrail loco D3 639.

D3 684

D3

4-6-0

Walkers Ltd, Qld, 201 of 1913

Plinthed

Seymour

D3 684 is plinthed in a park near to the railway station.

D3 688

D3

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1912

Stored

Steamrail Victoria, Ballarat East Depot

D3 688 had been displayed in a park at Rosebud before being acquired by West Coast Railway. D3 638, D3 641 and D3 688 were purchased from West Coast Railway by Steamrail Victoria in late 2004 and are now stored at the Steamrail compound at Ballarat East depot.

D4 268

D4

4-6-2T

Victorian Railways, built 1910

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

D4 268 is the surviving example of the tank engine version of the Victorian Railway's successful DD-class 4-6-0 design.  The D4 class tank locomotives were used on Melbourne suburban train duties until displaced by electrification.

A2 884

A2

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1913

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

A2 884 is fitted with Stephenson valve gear and is the only remaining example of this earlier variant of A2 class express passenger locomotive.

A2 964

A2

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1921

Plinthed

Reservoir

A2 964 is an example of the Walschaerts valve gear version of A2 class and is one of only 5 class members fitted with Boxpox wheels.  A2 964 has been plinthed for many years in Edwardes Park, Reservoir, in Melbourne's northern suburbs.

A2 986

A2

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1915

Operational

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

A2 986 was the very last A2 in service when withdrawn in December 1963.  It was plinthed in a Warragul park until acquired by Steamrail Victoria in 1986 under an swap arrangement whereby J 550 was plinthed at Warragul in its place.  After many years of slow but steady progress by Steamrail volunteers, A2 986 has passed it steam test and is now in the final stages of overhaul.

A2 995

A2

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1916

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

A2 995 represents the later version of A2 express passenger locomotive with Walschaerts valve gear and smoke deflectors.  It makes for an interesting comparison with the earlier Stephenson valve gear variant represented by A2 884.

A2 996

A2

4-6-0

Victorian Railways, built 1916

Display

Echuca Wharf

A2 996 had been displayed within the preserved Echuca Wharf precinct for many years, keeping company with the Murray River paddle steamers that operate from this historic location.  In 2004 it was towed to the nearby old Echuca loco depot over the newly-relaid wharf branch line as the first step towards intended restoration to main line operation, but unfortunately this initiative lapsed.  A2 996 remained stored at old Echuca loco depot for more than 10 years until relocated back to the Wharf precinct on 24 December 2015, where it will once again be statically displayed.

S

S

4-6-2

Victorian Railways (Newport Workshops), built 1928-1930

Tender only

Seymour Railway Heritage Centre

The four members of the S-class were handsome 3-cylinder Pacific locomotives built to operate the 'Spirit of Progress' express between Melbourne and Albury.  The S-class locomotives were quickly withdrawn following the arrival of main-line diesels and tragically all four had been scrapped by 1954.  However the tenders tanks and underframes were retained for other duties and several S-class tenders are now held by preservation groups.

R 700

R

4-6-4

North British 26990 of 1951

Workshop

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

R 700 had been stored at Newport Workshops since withdrawal by VR in 1964.  In 2000 it was transferred to Ballarat East Depot for restoration by West Coast Railway and dismantled for overhaul.  By 2012 it had been substantially reassembled and was transferred back to Newport Workshops where further restoration by Steamrail Victoria is proceeding.

R 704

R

4-6-4

North British 26994 of 1951

Display

ARHS Museum, North Williamstown, Melbourne

R 704 is notable for being displayed at the Exhibition of Industrial Power for the Festival of Britain in Glasgow, 1951, prior to its delivery to the Victorian Railways and carries a large commemorative number plate on the cabside in recognition of this honour.  It is preserved as a static exhibit at the ARHS Railway Museum, North Williamstown.

R 707

R

4-6-4

North British 26997 of 1951

Operational

R 707 Operations, Newport

R 707 is one of the celebrity locomotives of Australian railway preservation, thanks to the efforts of R 707 Operations who have maintained the loco for many years for main-line railfan trips.  R 707 is housed at Newport Workshops and usually presented in immaculate black livery with red lining.  It now carries the name 'City of Melbourne'.

R 711

R

4-6-4

North British 27001 of 1951

Operational

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

R 711 had been plinthed at Bendigo station until acquired by West Coast Railway and extensively rebuilt with modifications including Lempor exhaust and conversion to oil firing.  R 711 is now leased by Steamrail Victoria and has been certified for mainline use, receiving a striking new livery of blue with gold stripe reminiscent of the VR 'Spirit of Progress' era and the long-lost S-class pacific steam locomotives associated with that train.

R 753

R

4-6-4

North British 27043 of 1951

Stored

R 707 Operations, Newport

R 753 is owned by R 707 Operations.  It has been stored at Newport Workshops for many years, ostensibly as a future spare parts donor for popular mainline performer R 707.  In more recent times R 753 has been dismantled, presumably to assess repairs and to permit more rapid component exchange with R 707 if required.

R 761

R

4-6-4

North British 27051 of 1951

Operational

Steamrail Victoria, Newport

R 761 is immaculately maintained by Steamrail Victoria at their Newport Workshops base.  It wears authentic black livery with red running boards and “blinker” smoke deflectors.  R 761 has delighted both rail fans and the public with many fast main-line excursions over several decades of Steamrail Victoria excursions, often double-heading with either R 707, R 711 or R 766.

R 766

R

4-6-4

North British 27056 of 1951

Operational

Hunter Valley Railway Trust

R 766 had been operational in the 1990's and wore an attractive but non-original Canadian Red livery.  In May 2005 came the interesting news that R 766 had been leased to the Hunter Valley Railway Trust for conversion to standard gauge.  This work has apparently been largely completed, however R 766 is yet to be released to traffic.

-

?

?

?

Tender tank

Donnybrook

The Victorian Railways sold a number of steam locomotive tenders for further use on farms etc.  One example is this ex-Victorian Railways tender tank to be found at Donnybrook, north of Melbourne.

2' 6" Gauge

3A

NA

2-6-2T

Victorian Railways, built 1900

Stored, dismantled

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave

3A was allocated to the Moe-Walhalla narrow gauge line for part of its operational career.  Upon withdrawal, 3A was plinthed in a park at Portsea until acquired by the Puffing Billy Railway in 1977.  3A was subsequently dismantled but the boiler was found to be in poor condition and today the frames, cylinders and wheels are stored while the boiler is displayed at Menzies Creek Museum.  Various proposals for the restoration of this historic locomotive have been tabled over the years and hopefully one day it will be reassembled for either display or operation.

6A

NA

2-6-2T

Victorian Railways, built 1901

Operational

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave

The NA class represent a classic Baldwin design, having supplied the initial two examples of this class (NA1 & NA2).  The Victorian Railways subsequently built 15 further examples as copies of the Baldwin design.  6A was released to Puffing Billy Railway traffic early in 2002 after a lengthy and thorough overhaul at their Belgrave depot.

7A

NA

2-6-2T

Victorian Railways, built 1905

Operational

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave

7A operates out of the PBR depot at Belgrave.

8A

NA

2-6-2T

Victorian Railways, built 1908

Operational

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave

8A operates out of the PBR depot at Belgrave.  8A received a thorough overhaul during 2005-2006 and was returned to operation in October 2006.

12A

NA

2-6-2T

Victorian Railways, built 1912

Workshop

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave

12A operates out of the PBR depot at Belgrave. 12A entered the PBR workshop for a full overhaul in 2006.

14A

NA

2-6-2T

Victorian Railways, built 1914

Operational

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave

14A operates out of the depot at Belgrave.

G 42

G

2-6-0 + 0-6-2

Beyer Peacock 6268 of 1926

Operational

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave

G41 and sister G42 were essentially a repeat of the earlier Ms-class design for the West Australian Government Railways, but modified for 2' 6" gauge.  Whilst G41 was scrapped, fortunately G42 was saved for preservation and displayed at the Menzies Creek Museum for many years.  Restoration to operation began in the late 1980's.  G42 returned to service on 11 March 2004 when she moved under her own steam for the first time in 42 years.