ARHS Williamstown Museum
T 94 displayed at the ARHS Museum at North Williamstown. 10 May 2003
The Victorian Railways T-class locomotives were a
classic British inside-cylinder 0-6-0 designed for mixed traffic duties. The
pattern locomotive was supplied by Beyer Peacock & Co, Manchester in 1873,
followed by a further 18 examples manufactured locally by the Phoenix Foundry
Co, Ballarat. Another 4 Beyer Peacock built examples joined the fleet in
1923 when the private Deniliquin and Moama Railway Co was taken over by the
The T-class proved very successful on goods and mixed traffic duties and gravitated to light lines towards the end of their careers. T 92 and T 94 survived until 1951 as shunters at the Newport Power Station, where they proved well suited to the sharp curves at this location.
Fortunately T 94 was set aside for preservation and is now displayed among the locomotive exhibits at the Australian Railway Historical Society (ARHS) museum at North Williamstown. As preserved, T 94 is paired with an interesting old Baldwin-built semi-bogie tender originally supplied with the W-class locomotives in 1875, rather than the original rigid-framed 6-wheel tender. This Baldwin tender would have assisted with negotiating the tight curves at Newport Power Station.
Phoenix Foundry builder's plate attached to & 94's centre wheel splasher.
The flanges were removed from this centre wheel to assist with negotiating the tight curves at Newport Power Station.
ARHS (Victorian Division) 'North Williamstown Railway Museum', Third Edition 1968,
revised 1977, reprinted 1980.
|b||Builder's plate details|
Page updated: 27 March 2014