NA Class 2-6-2T
This photo is kindly provided by Gordon Ross and shows 12A at Lakeside.
NA-class locomotive 12A was constructed at Newport Workshops in 1912 for use on the Victorian Railways narrow-gauge lines. It was built to the design of the original two NA-class members 1A & 2A which were supplied by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. (For general information about the Victorian Railways narrow-gauge lines and the NA-class, refer to the page for NA3.)
12A was taken off the Victorian Railways register as late as 1973 and passed into the care of the Emerald Tourist Railway Board for operation on the Puffing Billy Railway. It has since generally remained in traffic excepting periods of overhaul and is normally shedded at the Puffing Billy Railway's Belgrave depot together with sisters 6A, 7A, 8A & 14A. 12A received a full overhaul at the Puffing Billy Railway workshops in 2006.
The Puffing Billy Railway is generally considered to be Australia's best heritage railway and is well worth a visit!
A scanned photo view of 12A coupling up to its train at Gembrook in 1995.
Detail of the builder's plate. (Scanned 1995 photo)
Scanned photo view of 12A shunting at Gembrook in 1995.
"Steam Locomotives of the Victorian Railways, Volume 1: The First Fifty Years" by Norman Cave, John Buckland & David Beardsell.
Published in 2002 by the Australian Railway Historical Society (Victorian Division), Melbourne.
|b||"Locomotives of Australia, Fifth Edition (1850's - 2010)" by Leon Oberg, published in 2010 by Rosenberg Publishing Pty Ltd, Dural NSW.|
|c||Information provided by Max Bracher via email, 20 October 2012|
Page updated: 1 March 2014