This photo is kindly provided by Anthony Winstone and shows K 184 at St Albans on 16 September 1970.
K 184 was built by the Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops in 1945 to the successful K-class 2-8-0 locomotive design for branch-line work. A total of 53 K-class locomotives were constructed for branch-line duties, with a significant number retained in storage or for workshop shunting duties towards to end of steam traction on the Victorian Railways. A total of 21 K-class locomotives have survived into preservation.
K 184 was used on railtour duty by Steamrail Victoria until 1980. It has since been stored at Newport Workshops.
|a||"Locomotives of Australia" by Leon Oberg, published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, 1982 reprint.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 16 November 2013