Formerly plinthed at Beaufort
This photo is kindly provided by Wes Barris from his excellent steamlocomotive.com site and shows D3 641 at Ballarat in July 2000.
This locomotive was constructed by the Victorian
Railways Newport Workshops in 1915 and originally numbered DD 943, becoming
one of the 261 members of the Victorian Railways DD-class. It was
renumbered DD 783 in 1924. Superheating and modification to D2
configuration followed, becoming D2 783,and it was further rebuilt with the
larger D3 boiler in 1936, becoming D3 641. (For more information about the
Victorian Railways DD-class locomotives, refer to the entry for
D3 641 was plinthed in a park at Beaufort in 1964 and remained there until obtained by the West Coast Railway. It was placed in store at the Ballarat East Depot site of the West Coast Railway in company with sisters D3 608, 638 and 688.
D3 638, 641 and 688 were purchased from the West Coast Railway by Steamrail Victoria in late 2004 and remain stored at the Steamrail compound at Ballarat East depot.
|a||"A brief history of Preserved Rolling Stock of Victoria" by Norm Bray, Peter J Vincent and Daryl M Gregory. Published by Brief History Books, PO Box 437, Sunbury, Vic 3429.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment|
Page updated: 29 November 2013