This photograph is kindly provided by Gordon Ross, and shows K 183 at Nyora.
The locomotive is wearing an attractive blue livery.
K 183 was built by the Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops in 1943 to the successful K-class 2-8-0 locomotive design for branch-line work. A total of 53 K-class locomotives were constructed for branch-line duties, with a significant number retained in storage or for workshop shunting duties towards to end of steam traction on the Victorian Railways. A total of 21 K-class locomotives have survived into preservation.
K 183 had been plinthed in a park at Yarragon. In 1982 the locomotive unit was swapped for worn-out sister K 162 and restored for main-line excursions by Steamrail Victoria. It was normally shedded at Newport Workshops.
Update: K 183 was damaged in a tragic accident on Sunday 13 October 2002, killing three of the footplate crew and severely injuring a fourth. The accident occurred outside Benalla, when a B-Double semi trailer failed to clear a level crossing. The victims were leading members of the Victorian railway preservation scene. K 183 has since been stored damaged at Newport Workshops.
|a||"Locomotives of Australia" by Leon Oberg, published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, 1982 reprint.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 16 November 2013