This photo is kindly provided by Ashley Williams and shows K 153 on railtour duty at Mooroolbark in November 1977.
K 153 was built by the Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops in 1940 to the successful K-class 2-8-0 locomotive design for branch-line work. A total of 53 K-class locomotives were constructed for branch-line duties, with a significant number retained in storage or for workshop shunting duties towards to end of steam traction on the Victorian Railways. A total of 21 K-class locomotives have survived into preservation.
K 153 has been maintained and operated for many years by Steamrail Victoria as a railtour engine and is normally shedded at Newport Workshops. Following an extensive overhaul by Steamrail volunteers, K 153 was returned to service in November 2003 for further railtour duties.
Here is a useful Wikipedia link which provides further information about the Victorian Railway K-class locomotives.
K 153 lurking within one of the bays at Newport Workshops. 10 May 2003.
|a||"Locomotives of Australia" by Leon Oberg, published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, 1982 reprint.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 16 November 2013