Ballarat North Workshop
D3 653 plinthed at the entrance to the Ballarat North workshops.
This view was contributed by Ashley Williams.
This locomotive was constructed by the
Victorian Railways Newport Workshops in 1908 and originally numbered
DD 690, becoming one of the 261 members of the Victorian Railways
DD-class. It was renumbered to DD 797 in 1925 before being superheated and modified to D2 configuration in
1926, becoming D2 797. It was later further rebuilt with the larger D3
boiler in 1935, becoming D3 653. (For more information about the
Victorian Railways DD-class locomotives, refer to the entry for
D3 653 was plinthed at the entrance to the Ballarat North Workshops in 1964. It is displayed in maroon livery and appears to be relatively well maintained and cared for, retaining its headlight, marker lights, number boxes and other details which are usually long gone from other plinthed locomotives.
|a||"A brief history of Preserved Rolling Stock of Victoria" by Norm Bray, Peter J Vincent and Daryl M Gregory. Published by Brief History Books, PO Box 437, Sunbury, Vic 3429.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment|
Page updated: 22 December 2013