Plinthed at Numurkah
K 181 is plinthed in a park at Numurkah as seen in this scanned photo view, taken in the fading light of a July 2002 afternoon.
K 181 was built by the Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops in 1943 to the successful K-class 2-8-0 locomotive design for branch-line work.
K 181 was plinthed in a park at Numurkah following its withdrawal by the Victorian Railways. It is displayed alongside a faux station which provides access to the cab, and the locomotive is protected from the weather by an old Victorian Railways station canopy that has been cleverly adapted to form an overhanging roof.
Here is a useful Wikipedia link which provides further information about the Victorian Railway K-class locomotives.
A second scanned photo view of K 181 at Numurkah in July 2002.
|a||"Locomotives of Australia" by Leon Oberg, published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, 1982 reprint.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 14 September 2013