Statically displayed at Coal Creek
K 169 at the railway station exhibit at the Coal Creek museum, Easter 1998.
Steam blows from the whistle and K 169 looks ready to depart... but she hasn't turned a wheel in decades!
K 169 was built by the Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops in 1941 to the successful K-class 2-8-0 locomotive design for branch-line work.
K 169 and several carriages are displayed at a recreated station scene at the Coal Creek Museum, Korumburra. Live steam piped to the whistle and cylinder drain cocks to give the impression of K 169 being ready to depart the station, although it never has! Visitors to the locomotive cab regularly pull the whistle cord, sending a shrill toot echoing around the extensive grounds of the Coal Creek museum.
Here is a useful Wikipedia link which provides further information about the Victorian Railway K-class locomotives.
|a||"Locomotives of Australia" by Leon Oberg, published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, 1982 reprint.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 4 October 2013