No.

Photo

Class

Wheel Arrang't

Builder's No

& Year

Status

Location

Notes

4' 8.5" Gauge

1

1

0-4-2

Robert Stephenson & Co 958 of 1854

Display

Powerhouse Museum

No.1 is displayed as a key exhibit in the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney.

18

E(17)

0-6-0

Robert Stephenson 1542 of 1866

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

E 18 is an example of the classic Stephenson "Long Boiler" 0-6-0 design of freight locomotive.

78

M(36)

0-4-2

NSW Railways, built 1877

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

M 78 has an interesting history, having been built in 1877 to a much earlier design as replacement of the original 1-class locomotives.

79

-

0-6-0ST

Hunslet 1825 of 1938

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

PWD 79 is a well-proportioned saddle tank engine that was built to a standard industrial shunting locomotive design by the Hunslet Engine Company of Yorkshire.

128

P(127)

0-6-0ST

Vulcan Foundry 834 of 1879

Display

Yass Railway Museum

P 128 has survived into preservation despite a close encounter with scrap metal collectors.  While incomplete, it remains an interesting steam survivor.

20N

-

0-6-0ST

Kitson 1620 of 1870

Display

Newcastle Museum

20N is displayed as a prime exhibit in the new Newcastle Museum in the former Honeysuckle Workshops.

1021

(X)10

0-4-0ST

Manning Wardle 1896 of 1916

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

1021 was built by Manning Wardle & Co to one of their standard designs of industrial & construction locomotive, and was one of five identical locomotives imported by the NSW Public Works Department. 1021 has been cosmetically restored and placed on display within the theatrette of the new exhibition building at Thirlmere.

1022

(X)10

0-4-0ST

Vulcan Iron Works 2505 of 1916

Under restoration

Valley Heights Steam Tramway

1022 and sister 1023 were built to a standard Vulcan Iron Works shunting design. In NSWGR service they were used for many years as roundhouse shunters at the Enfield steam loco depot.  Today 1022 is under heavy overhaul at Valley Heights following significant damage sustained in an arson attack in June 1993

1024

Refer to the Victorian Private & Industrial Locomotives entry for "Newbold"

1033

(X)10

2-4-0T

Beyer Peacock 2661 of 1885

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

1033 is one of a class of 18 'F(351)-class' locomotives originally used for Sydney suburban trains, but later relegated to workshop shunting duties.

1034

(X)10

0-4-0CT

Dubs 2250 of 1886

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

1034 is a crane tank locomotive. It has been statically restored and placed on display within the new Trainworks exhibition building.

1042

(X)10

2-4-0T

Henry Vale 38 of 1887

Under restoration

Maitland

1042 is an F351-class loco originally built for Sydney suburban trains, and ended its career as the Cardiff Workshops shunter.  1042 is now under restoration at a new railway workshop facility in Maitland.

1052

(X)10

0-4-0CT

Hawthorn Leslie 3035 of 1914

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

1052 is a luffing crane tank locomotive with max. 7 ton crane capacity. It was sold to the DSR&M for preservation in November 1976.

1064

(X)10

4wvb

Alfred Harman Engineering Works, Port Melbourne

Operational

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

Coal Grab 1064 was restored at the NSWRTM between 2008 and 2010.  It is now maintained in working order and used for coaling locomotives in the NSWRTM running depot.

1067

(X)10

0-4-0CT

Hawthorn Leslie 3564 of 1923

Stored, dismantled

DSR&M Dorrigo

1067 is a luffing crane tank locomotive with max. 7 ton crane capacity. 1067 was acquired by the DSR&M in a dismantled state after the NSWGR had dismantled the locomotive for an overhaul which subsequently did not proceed.

1068

(X)10

0-4-0CT

Hawthorn Leslie 3565 of 1924

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

1068 is a luffing crane tank locomotive with max. 7 ton crane capacity. It was withdrawn by the NSWGR from Cardiff Workshops in May 1975.

1076

(X)10

0-6-0T

Vulcan Foundry 995 of 1885

Under restoration

Goulburn Roundhouse

1076 was originally 1804 of the Z18 class.  At a later stage a crane was fitted and it became 1076 of the X-10 class of miscellaneous and obsolete locomotives.

1082

(X)10

0-4-0CT

Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7542 of 1950

Stored

Powerhouse Museum - Castle Hill Discovery Centre

1082 and 1083 were the final orders of a series of 0-4-0 crane tank locomotives ordered by the NSWGR following from 1030 back in 1879.  These small steam crane locomotives actually outlasted mainline steam by nearly a decade, with 1082 and 1083 pottering around Eveleigh workshops until withdrawn in the early 1980's.

1083

(X)10

0-4-0CT

Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7543 of 1950

Plinthed

Advanced Technology Park, Eveleigh

1082 and 1083 were the final orders of a series of 0-4-0 crane tank locomotives ordered by the NSWGR following from 1030 back in 1879.  These small steam crane locomotives actually outlasted mainline steam by nearly a decade, with 1082 and 1083 pottering around Eveleigh workshops until withdrawn in the early 1980's.

1210

(Z)12

4-4-0

Beyer Peacock 1767 of 1878

Operational

Canberra Railway Museum

1210 has the distinction of being the first locomotive to work into Canberra (in 1913) and had been plinthed at Canberra Railway Station since 1962.  It was removed from its plinth in 1984, overhauled by ARHS (ACT division) volunteers and returned to operation in 1988, following funding from the Australian Bicentennial Authority.  1210 has since been based at the Canberra Railway Museum and generally available for tourist and enthusiast trains, excepting periods of maintenance.

1219

(Z)12

4-4-0

Dubs 1270 of 1880

Stored

Broadmeadow roundhouse

1219 remains in its worn “as withdrawn” condition since withdrawal in 1963 and showing the effects of many years of open storage, with significant surface rust and the timber cab roof heavily decayed.  It finally moved into covered storage at Thirlmere in late 2004 before being rail hauled to Broadmeadow Loco in August 2008, where it is now in secure undercover storage.  1219 is unusual for a (Z)12 class loco in featuring an extended smokebox and it is also paired with a larger P(6) class tender rather than the original low-sided type.

1243

(Z)12

4-4-0

Atlas Engineering 2 of 1882

Display

Powerhouse Museum

1243 is somewhat of a celebrity locomotive, having featured in the NSWGR Centenary Celebrations of 1955 before being retained for use on Vintage Train duties from 1960.  In 1970 it featured in a Ned Kelly movie starring Mick Jagger.  1243 had been an operational exhibit at the NSWRTM Thirlmere where it regularly performed on Loop Line trains, until withdrawn around 1982.  During the late 1980's it was immaculately restored to an authentic configuration with short smokebox and low-side tender, prior to being placed on displayed as a key exhibit in the Powerhouse Museum’s transport hall.

1301

(Z)13

4-4-2T

Beyer Peacock 1624 of 1877

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

1301 is beautifully presented at Trainworks, Thirlmere, having been statically restored by NSWRTM volunteers.

1307

(Z)13

4-4-2T

Beyer Peacock 1637 of 1877

Static

Yass Railway Museum

1307 was in storage at the NSWRTM Thirlmere for many years before being repainted for display at the Yass Railway Museum.

1308

(Z)13

4-4-2T

Beyer Peacock 1620 of 1877

Stored, dismantled

Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum

1308 is an unlucky locomotive, having been extensively damaged during an arson attack in 1993.  It is stored dismantled at Valley Heights.

1709

(Z)17

4-4-0

Vulcan Foundry 1172 of 1887

Operational

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

1709 survived into preservation after being retained by the New South Wales Government Railways for “Vintage Train” duties in the early 1960’s.  1709 later passed into the care of the New South Wales Rail Transport Museum at their Enfield Roundhouse base.  1709 was withdrawn from NSWRTM tour train duties and placed on static display at Thirlmere around 1975.  In 1994 it was restored for use in the celebration of 140 years of NSW Railways during 1995.  1709 was again reactivated for the NSW Railways’150 years celebrations in 2005.  1709 / H 381 is now statically displayed at Trainworks where it remains in nominally operational condition.

1803

(Z)18

0-6-0T

Vulcan Foundry 994 of 1884

Display

(for special events only)

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

1803 began life as one of a class of 6 "R 285" class locomotives for Sydney suburban passenger trains.  After many years of storage while awaiting restoration, 1803 has recently been statically restored in the guise of "Thomas the Tank Engine" for use at special events.

1804

Refer to 1076 above

1904

(Z)19

0-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 1646 of 1877

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

1904 was one of 77 examples of the A(93) class freight locomotives designed for heavy freight duties, a development of the earlier E(17) class Stephenson 'long-boiler' design (refer E18 above). These engines were later used as branch-line locomotives, particularly on the steep and lightly-laid 'pioneer' lines to Oberon, Dorrigo, Tumut & Batlow, and as yard shunting locomotives at Darling Harbour. 1904 was retired as late as 1972 and saved by the DSR&M.

1905

(Z)19

0-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 1647 of 1877

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

1905 earned a special place in history as the first locomotive to cross the Sydney Harbour Bridge, albeit on a construction works train.  It has been expertly restored by NSWRTM volunteers and is statically displayed at Trainworks, Thirlmere.

1919

(Z)19

0-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 1761 of 1878

Stored

Glenreagh Mountain Railway

1919 was initially preserved by the Lachlan Vintage Village at Forbes, being plinthed as gatekeeper in 1979 and painted a gaudy sky blue livery.  1919 was acquired by the DSR&M in 1986 but later passed to the Glenreagh Mountain Railway, where it was returned to service in July 2004.  1919 is currently stored at Glenreagh pending resumption of GMR operations.

1923

(Z)19

0-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 1890 of 1879

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

1923 and sister 1904 lasted nearly to the very end of NSWGR steam, having been retained at Port Waratah depot as shunters and with the special duty of replenishing the coal stage.  1923 was purchased for preservation with the DSR&M collection and has been stored at Dorrigo for many years.

2029

(Z)20

2-6-4T

NSW Government Railways 28 of 1911

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

2029 is the last survivor of the Z-20 class, which were a tank-engine version of the Z-19 class.   A thorough static restoration of this locomotive was completed by NSWRTM volunteers during the 1980's and 90's, resulting in a very high standard of presentation and authenticity.  The magnificently restored 2029 is now a prime exhibit in the display hall at Trainworks, Thirlmere.

2408

(Z)24

2-6-0

Dubs & Co. 2631 of 1891

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

The B(55)-class (later renamed the Z24 class) comprised 25 locomotives built by Dubs & Co of Scotland.  Originally main-line freight locos, they eventually gravitated to secondary lines and then shunting roles.  2408 was one four sold to the Electricity Commission of NSW for use at Bunnerong Power Station.  2408 was later donated to the DSR&M.

2413

(Z)24

2-6-0

Dubs & Co. 2635 of 1891

Display

Junee Roundhouse Museum

2413 was last used by the Bunnerong Power Station as their No.6.  Upon retirement in 1975 it was donated to the ARHS Canberra.   2413 was transferred to the Junee Roundhouse Museum in May 2002 for static display at the Roundhouse Museum.

2414

(Z)24

2-6-0

Dubs & Co. 2636 of 1891

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

2414 was acquired secondhand from the NSWGR in 1959 by the Electricity Commission of NSW for use shunting the Bunnerong Power Station, Port Botany where it became No.5.   In 1967 it became a parts donor for sister 2408 and the remains were donated to the DSR&M in 1975.  2414 is now stored at Dorrigo.

2419

(Z)24

2-6-0

Dubs & Co. 2641 of 1891

Display

Goulburn Roundhouse

2419 remained with the NSWGR for its entire working life.  Upon preservation it was restored to near-original appearance using a round-top boiler salvaged from scrapped 2604 in place of the later Belpaire boiler and displayed with its original number B 390.  In 1985 it was transferred to the Goulburn Roundhouse for display.

2510

(Z)25

2-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co. 2082 of 1881

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

2510 was one of the early exhibits saved for preservation by the New South Wales Rail Transport Museum.  It received a very thorough and lengthy static restoration by a group of NSWRTM volunteers and is proudly displayed in the main exhibit hall at Trainworks, Thirlmere where it wears black livery.  A nice finishing touch to its display is the headlight, marker and cab lights are lit, which adds life to the exhibit.

2535

(Z)25

2-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 2322 of 1884

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

2535 outlived its sisters thanks to private ownership by Australian Iron & Steel (AIS).  It was initially plinthed at the AIS Visitors Centre at Coniston and later acquired for the Dorrigo Steam Railway & Museum collection.

2605

(Z)26

2-6-2ST

Dubs & Co. 2794 of 1891

Display

State Mine Heritage Park & Museum, Lithgow

The twenty members of the I(17) class were essentially a saddle-tank version of the B(55) class 2-6-0 tender locomotives and intended for banking duties over steep grades such as the Great Western Railway (Blue Mountains line).  2605 survived into preservation after being sold into industrial service at the Portland Cement Company.  It lasted in service at their Portland cement works until as late as 1983.

2606

(Z)26

2-6-2ST

Dubs & Co. 2795 of 1891

Stored

Broadmeadow roundhouse

2606 had been displayed at the NSWRTM in until approximately 2010 when it was towed to Broadmeadow roundhouse for covered storage.  Unfortunately 2606 is no longer on public display.

2705

(Z)27

2-6-0

Hunslet 1115 of 1913

Operational

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

2705 is the last survivor of 8 members of the (Z) 27 class, which were purchased by the Department of Public Works for railway construction duties.  The class was rebuilt by the NSWGR with (Z) 25 class boilers and 3650-gallon tenders.  2705 was displayed as a static exhibit at the NSWRTM Thirlmere until restored to operation around 1994 and is now the regular locomotive on Thirlmere-Buxton tourist trains.

3001T

(C)30T

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 4444 of 1903

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

3001T was built as a 4-6-4T for Sydney suburban operations.  It was converted to 4-6-0 tender configuration after electrification of the Sydney suburban lines and redeployed to country branches.  It later received a superheated boiler and other improvements.  3001T was restored to operation by the NSWRTM during the early 1980's but was withdrawn in approximately 1997 due to deteriorating mechanical condition.  It is now displayed as a static exhibit at Thirlmere.

3013

(C)30

4-6-4T

Beyer Peacock & Co 4456 of 1903

Dismantled

Canberra Railway Museum

3013 survived into preservation following its sale to Hebburn Colliery in 1967 and remained in private use in the Cessnock coalfield until about 1973.  It is now stored dismantled at the ARHS Museum in Canberra.

3016T

(C)30T

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 4459 of 1903

Operational

Canberra Railway Museum

3016T and saturated 3102T were saved for preservation by the Australian Railway Historical Society (ACT Division) and have been resident at the Canberra Railway Museum since the mid-1970’s.  3016T wore an attractive Prussian Blue livery with red wheels from the late 1980’s through the 1990’s, giving the locomotive a distinctly German look.

In more recent times it has received an authentic black livery.

3026T

(C)30T

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 4469 of 1903

Display

Lachlan Valley Railway

3026T represents the (C)30 class as originally converted, retaining a short smokebox and saturated steam boiler.  It is paired with an antique 6-wheel Beyer Peacock tender originally from a Z16-class 4-4-0 engine.  3026T is normally resident at Cowra roundhouse and had been operational from the 1970s to the 1990’s but is currently under overhaul.

3028T

(C)30T

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 4471 of 1904

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

3028T was originally built as a 4-6-4T for Sydney suburban train operations.  Following electrification of the Sydney suburban railways, it was rebuilt to a 4-6-0 tender configuration for use on country branch lines.  3028T operated the re-opening train to Dorrigo in 1986 (with 5069) and is now stored in black-oil in Dorrigo station yard.

3046

(C)30

4-6-4T

Beyer Peacock & Co 5140 of 1908

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

3046 is stored for the Dorrigo Steam Railway & Museum collection.

3075T

(C)30T

4-6-0

NSW Government Railways 42 of 1912

Plinthed

Parkes

3075T is plinthed in Parkes in central western NSW.

3085

(C)30

4-6-4T

NSW Government Railways 52 of 1912

Display

Goulburn Roundhouse

3085 was the last C-30 tank locomotive in service with the NSWGR when withdrawn in 1972. It was relocated from NSWRTM Thirlmere to Goulburn Roundhouse on 27 November 2009, where it remains awaiting restoration.

3090T

(C)30T

4-6-0

NSW Government Railways 57 of 1912

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

3090T was originally built as a 4-6-4T for Sydney suburban train running.  Following electrification of the Sydney suburban railways, it was rebuilt to a 4-6-0 configuration for use on country branch lines.

3102T

(C)30T

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 5797 of 1912

Stored

Canberra Railway Museum

3102T was built as a 4-6-4T for Sydney suburban train running. Following electrification of the Sydney suburban railways, it was rebuilt to 4-6-0 configuration for use on country branch lines.  3102T had been maintained operational by the ARHS Canberra during the 1970's and 80's.  It was withdrawn from ARHS service in August 1987 (with 3016T being returned to operation in its place) and has since been stored awaiting overhaul.

3112

(C)30

4-6-4T

Beyer Peacock & Co 5807 of 1914

Stored Operational

Canberra

3112 was purchased privately in 1986 and restored to operation in 1988, following which it saw extensive railtour use.  3112 changed hands in 2007 and the new owner has arranged storage in Canberra on a private siding adjacent to the Canberra Railway Museum.  Although nominally operational, I understand 3112 is not currently in use.

3137

(C)30

4-6-4T

NSW Government Railways 134 of 1917

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

3137 had been a stalwart of the NSWRTM operating fleet during the 1970's and 80's and regularly hauled the Museum's "Loop Line" train between Picton, Thirlmere and Buxton.  It is now an exhibit in the Trainworks museum.

3203

(C)32

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 3402 of 1891

Stored

Broadmeadow roundhouse

3203 was an operational exhibit at the NSWRTM Thirlmere during the 1970's but was later retired due to deteriorating boiler condition and became a static exhibit.  3203 has since been transferred to Broadmeadow Roundhouse for storage and is no longer on public display.

3214

(C)32

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 3413 of 1892

Display

Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum

3214 was an operational exhibit at the NSWRTM Thirlmere during the 1970's until withdrawn in 1982 due to boiler condition and placed on static display.  3214 had worn an attractive maroon livery when operational but was repainted into basic unlined black livery in 1988.  3214 has since moved to the Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum where it is currently receiving a thorough restoration and repainting to lined green livery for static display purposes.

3237

(C)32

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 3436 of 1892

Operational

Lachlan Valley Railway

3237 was numbered P 508 prior to the NSWGR 1924 renumbering scheme.  It was based at Cowra during its later NSWGR service and therefore has found a fitting home in preservation at the Cowra roundhouse.  3237 had been dismantled since the 1980's under a protracted overhaul which included a new front tube-plate. The overhaul was completed with 3237's return to steam in mid-2005, following which it has found much use on main-line duties.

3265

(C)32

4-6-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 4221 of 1901

Operational

Trainworks for the Powerhouse Museum

3265 has been extensively rebuilt and overhauled by volunteers at Eveleigh by the Powerhouse Museum, including provision of a new welded boiler, and now proudly wears its historic “Hunter” nameplates and maroon livery in recollection of its days at the head of the Newcastle Limited express in the 1920’s.  3265 is generally based at Trainworks, Thirlmere and is often steams for various tours, festivals etc.

3526

(C)35

4-6-0

NSW Government Railways 118 of 1917

Operational

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

3526 served as a NSWRTM tour engine during the early 1970’s and transferred in steam to the NSWRTM Thirlmere in 1975 but was subsequently relegated to static display.  In 1983 the boiler clothing was removed for assessment of the boiler, and in 1990 full overhaul began in earnest.  Completion was achieved in early 2004 after a government grant to fund new boiler tubes, after which 3526 performed on many heritage and enthusiast tours.  Recent works have seen 3526 under heavy overhaul in the workshops at Trainworks Thirlmere, including construction of a new tender frame and tank.

3609

(C)36

4-6-0

NSW Government Railways 156 of 1928

Stored

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

3609 had been statically displayed at the NSWRTM Thirlmere for many years, originally in lined green livery and, after 1988, in lined black livery.  From time to time it has provided spare parts to 3642 via component exchange, including a driving wheelset, with 3609 subsequently returned to display condition.  3609 has been stored in the workshop area at Thirlmere since the redevelopment of the NSWRTM as ‘Trainworks’, where it has become somewhat derelict; hopefully it will be again be restored for display within the exhibit hall.

3616

(C)36

4-6-0

Clyde Engineering 400 of 1927

Stored

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

3616 is unique as the only Australian steam locomotive fitted with a Giesl ejector, in which form it is preserved at the NSWRTM.  3616 had been statically displayed in lined green livery at the NSWRTM during the 1970's but had become faded and rust-streaked by 1988 when it was repainted in unlined black.  Unfortunately it is no longer on public display, instead being stored near the workshop at Thirlmere since the redevelopment of the NSWRTM as ‘Trainworks’.

3642

(C)36

4-6-0

Clyde Engineering 376 of 1926

Operational

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

3642 has been a key main-line traffic locomotive in the NSWRTM fleet for many decades, working numerous tours to various destinations and heritage events.  It has received a number of heavy overhauls during its preservation career, including a boiler exchange at Goulburn Workshops in 1980.  3642 was withdrawn from service in the late 1990’s and statically displayed at Thirlmere for a number of years until funding for overhaul was announced in 2006, culminating in a further boiler exchange (using one of several spare (C)36 class boilers retrieved from static use) and re-launch to traffic on 1 March 2008.  Tours using 3642 are often marketed under the Heritage Express ‘Legends of Steam’ brand, leveraging the loco’s authentic and attractive lined green livery and reputation for spirited main-line running.

-

(C)36

4-6-0

NSW Government Railways

Static / spare boilers

Various locations

The New South Wales Government Railways apparently favoured (C)36 class boilers for use as stationary steam plant at their various railway workshops, with a significant number surviving in this role for several decades after the demise of steam traction.  Several (C)36 class boilers have since been obtained by different railway preservation groups, either as spares, curios or exhibits.  A notable bank of four such boilers form part of the industrial heritage at the Advanced Technology Park, Redfern, located at the former Eveleigh Railway Workshops.

3801

(C)38

4-6-2

Clyde Engineering 463 of 1943

Under overhaul

Chullora workshops

3801 is Australia's most famous locomotive and has been in rail tour duty for many years.  It is currently under overhaul, which has been protracted due to problems with the contracted boiler repairs.

3813

(C)38

4-6-2

NSW Government Railways 165 of 1946

Stored, dismantled

DSR&M Dorrigo

3813 has an interesting operational history and a rather tragic preservation career, having been dismantled for overhaul in 1973 but never reassembled.  The main components had become scattered but all have since been collected together at Dorrigo.

3820

(C)38

4-6-2

NSW Government Railways 172 of 1947

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

3820's last journey under steam was to deliver several exhibits from Enfield to the NSWRTM, Thirlmere in 1974, working on a temporary boiler certificate.  3820 has since been statically displayed at Thirlmere in lined black livery.

3830

(C)38

4-6-2

NSW Government Railways 182 of 1949

Workshop

Trainworks, Thirlmere

for the

Powerhouse Museum

3830 was reserved for the Powerhouse Museum upon withdrawal by the NSWGR and was stored at the NSWRTM until approximately 1988 when it was towed to the Eveleigh workshops for restoration to operation.  Returned to service in 1997, 3830 is now housed at the NSWRTM Thirlmere.

5069

(D)50

2-8-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 4374 of 1902

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

The (D)50 class freight locomotives were introduced in 1896 as the first of the NSWGR "Standard Goods Engines”, with 280 of the (D)50 type delivered.  The Standard Goods Engine fleet eventually grew to 590 locomotives following construction of the (D)53 class (190 examples) and (D)55 class (120 examples).  5069 is the oldest survivor of the type and retains its saturated steam boiler, having been largely unmodified during its working life.  5069 (with 3028T) worked the DSR&M reopening train to Dorrigo in 1986 and, together with the other DSR&M exhibits, remains stored at Dorrigo pending opening of the collection to the public.

5096

(D)50

2-8-0

Clyde Engineering 1 of 1907

Stored

Broadmeadow roundhouse

5096 was selected for preservation in the NSWRTM collection as the first locomotive built by The Clyde Engineering Co Ltd, Granville, NSW.  It retains its saturated steam boiler as originally designed and built.  5096 and many other NSWRTM exhibits were worn and rust-streaked on joining the collection, having been in open storage prior to entering the museum at Enfield No.1 roundhouse in the early 1970’s.  5096 was among these exhibits and was displayed in 'as received' condition until approximately 1981 when the boiler clothing and lagging was removed in order to prevent further decay of the boiler barrel.  Around 2003 the locomotive was assessed for restoration but the boiler was found to be heavily pitted.  5096 has since been stored away from public view and in August 2008 was rail hauled from Thirlmere for undercover storage at Broadmeadow Locomotive Depot, Newcastle.

5112

(D)50

2-8-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 5054 of 1908

Display

Bathurst

5112 is known as the former Prime Minister Ben Chifley's engine, relating to the period when he was a locomotive driver in the Bathurst area.  5112 is proudly displayed at Bathurst station following a comprehensive static restoration.

5132

(D)50

2-8-0

Beyer Peacock & Co 5074 of 1908

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

5132 is the sole remaining example of a superheated D(50) class locomotive and is also paired with the last surviving example of a Mort’s Dock-built turret tender.  Its inclusion in the Dorrigo collection is appropriate as 5132 regularly worked the Dorrigo branch in 1926.

5353

(D)53

2-8-0

NSW Government Railways 80 of 1913

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

5353 was issued to traffic as TF 1081 on 29 November 1913 and, renumbered to 5353 of the (D)53 class in 1924, went on to become one of the last NSWGR steam locomotives when withdrawn from Port Waratah depot in December 1972 with 1,822,290km of accumulated service.  It was purchased in 1974 from the locomotive graveyard at Enfield Depot for the collection of the proposed Hunter Valley Steam Railway & Museum (HVSR&M), which later became the Dorrigo Steam Railway& Museum.

5367

(D)53

2-8-0

Clyde Engineering 122 of 1914

Display

Lachlan Valley Railway

5367 was withdrawn from NSWGR service in July 1972 at the age of 58 years and with 2,174,613 km travelled.  Fortunately it escaped the scrap man, instead being sold for the Lachlan Vintage Village at Forbes and was later sold to the Lachlan Valley Railway at Cowra.  It has been based at the LVR’s Cowra Roundhouse Museum for many years and has been available for rail tour & enthusiast operations for lengthy periods while cared for by LVR volunteers.  5367 is currently displayed in the Cowra Roundhouse while it awaits overhaul.

5461

(D)53

2-8-0

Clyde Engineering 210 of 1916

Static

Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum

5461 was an operational exhibit at the NSWRTM during the 1970's and was a stalwart of the operational fleet in the early 1980’s.  5461 was withdrawn from NSWRTM operational duties in 1985 and placed on static display.  Change came in 1996 when 5461 was transferred to the Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Museum where it is statically displayed (paired with the last remaining 4,000 gallon “wampum” tender as supplied with the (D)55 class).

5595

(D)55

2-8-0

Clyde Engineering 334 of 1924

Static

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

5595 is the sole survivor of 120 examples of the (D)55 class variant of the NSWGR’s Standard Goods locomotives.  5595 was withdrawn from service in 1967 had been somewhat derelict by 1975 when transferred to the New South Wales Rail Transport Museum (NSWRTM) at Thirlmere, however it was restored as a static exhibit during the late 1990's by NSWRTM volunteers.  It is currently paired with the Standard Turret Tender formerly attached to 5461, rather than its original “Wampu” tender.

5711

(D)57

4-8-2

Clyde Engineering 435 of 1930

Under static restoration

Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum

5711 is one of the most significant preserved steam locomotives in Australia, being the last of the NSWGR's "big engine" 4-8-2 heavy freight locomotives introduced from 1929.  5711 is slowly being statically restored at Valley Heights.

58-class

(D)58

4-8-2

NSWGR Eveleigh & Cardiff Workshops

Components only

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

The (D)58 class was designed as an improved version of the earlier (D)57 class, featuring 3 cylinders but using rack-and-pinion valve timing instead of Gresley conjugating valve gear.  Today only a few components survive, but they make interesting artefacts showing aspects of steam locomotive construction.

5908

(D)59

2-8-2

Baldwin Lima Hamilton 75571 of 1952

Display

Goulburn Rail Heritage Centre

5908 is one of 20 (D)59 class goods engines ordered by the NSWGR to the design of the USATC ‘S200’ war locomotive.  Following the 1949 coal strikes, they were delivered as oil burners although most were later converted to coal firing during the 1960’s.  5908 remains in its original oil burning configuration and survived into preservation following a period of use as a stationary boiler.  It was displayed at the NSWRTM Thirlmere from 1977 to 2009, at which stage it was relocated the Goulburn Rail Heritage Centre.

5910

(D)59

2-8-2

Baldwin Lima Hamilton 75573 of 1952

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

5910 represents the coal-fired conversion of (D)59 class locomotive in the NSWRTM collection.  5910 was the last of the class in revenue traffic when withdrawn from NSWGR service in August 1972 and went on to become a tour loco.  It received a comprehensive overhaul at the NSWRTM Thirlmere from 1981 to 1985 and subsequently travelled widely on rail tours until withdrawn around 1998 due to boiler condition.  5910 has since been on static display at the NSWRTM Thirlmere, now known as the ‘Trainworks’ museum.

5916

(D)59

2-8-2

Baldwin Lima Hamilton 75579 of 1952

Stored

Goulburn Rail Heritage Centre

5916 survived into preservation following use as a stationary boiler until 1977, arriving at the NSWRTM Thirlmere as late as 1980.  It is currently stored in the Goulburn Roundhouse for the Goulburn Rail Heritage Centre.

5917

(D)59

2-8-2

Baldwin Lima Hamilton 75580 of 1952

Operational

Eveleigh Workshops

 (on loan to 3801 Ltd from Lachlan Valley Railway)

5917 is privately owned by a syndicate of people associated with the Lachlan Valley Railway, Cowra.  It has served widely in enthusiast / tour duties over the decades and has travelled widely through the state, including spells on hire to the ARHS Canberra and 3801 Limited.  For a period in the 1980’s it wore an attractive but unauthentic lined green livery; at this time it used the Standard Turret Tender from loco 5367 while its original ‘bobtail’ tender was repaired.  In more recent years it has returned to authentic black livery with red lining.

5920

(D)59

2-8-2

Baldwin Lima Hamilton 75583 of 1953

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

5920 is stored at Dorrigo for the DSR&M collection.  Like other DSR&M locomotives, it is regularly coated in black oil for weatherproofing.  5920 is notable as the last of many Baldwin-build steam locomotives delivered to Australia.

6029

AD60

4-8-4 + 4-8-4

Beyer Peacock & Co 7531 of 1954

Operational

Canberra Railway Museum

6029 has recently been restored to operation by volunteers at the ARHS Canberra.  This restoration has included a boiler change using a spare AD60-class boiler retrieved from sawmill use.

6039

AD60

4-8-4 + 4-8-4

Beyer Peacock & Co 7541 of 1956

Stored

DSR&M Dorrigo

6039 is stored at Dorrigo, where it is regularly coated in black oil for weatherproofing. 

6040

AD60

4-8-4 + 4-8-4

Beyer Peacock & Co 7542 of 1956

Display

Trainworks Thirlmere

for

NSW Transport Heritage

6040 was retained for preservation by the NSWRTM as the last steam locomotive to enter NSWGR service.  It is now a prime exhibit at Trainworks, Thirlmere.

6042

AD60

4-8-4 + 4-8-4

Beyer Peacock & Co 7544 of 1956

Stored

Forbes (stored for DSR&M)

6042 is notable as the last steam locomotive in revenue service for the NSWGR.  It is stored at the former Lachlan Vintage Village, Forbes while awaiting transport to Dorrigo.