Last of the Z-20 class
This view shows the magnificently restored 2029 displayed at Thirlmere on 6 March 2011.
The Z-20 class originated in 1889 with 12 examples of 2-6-4T locomotives built by Beyer Peacock & Co as a tank-engine version of the successful A(93) class 0-6-0 tender locomotives, and originally known as the E(10) class. These were later followed by 14 examples converted from A(93) class 0-6-0 locomotives, becoming the A/E class, and complemented by a further 7 examples built new by the NSW Railways. These 33 locomotives were grouped as the Z-20 class at the 1924 renumbering. 2029 was one of the 7 built by the NSW Railways as a 2-6-4T (builders number 28 of 1911) and is now the last survivor of the Z-20 class.
A thorough static restoration of this locomotive was completed by NSWRTM volunteers during the 1980's and 90's, resulting in a very high standard of presentation and authenticity. The magnificently restored 2029 is now a prime exhibit in the display hall at Trainworks, Thirlmere.
Ron Preston's classic book "Tender into Tank" provides an excellent overview of Z-20 class history and operations.
Detail of 2029's tank side, showing the builder's plate. 6 March 2011.
This old scanned photo from 1983 shows 2029 at Thirlmere prior to its restoration.
"A Compendium of New South Wales Steam Locomotives" compiled by Alex Grunbach, published by the
Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Wales Division, 1989, pp.92 & 138.
Webmaster's observation or comment
Page updated: 23 July 2012