Stored for the Dorrigo Steam Railway & Museum
This broadside view was contributed by Anthony Winstone and shows 3090T stored at Dorrigo in 1986.
The equalising springing on the 6-wheel P-class tender is just visible between the rear axles.
This locomotivewas built by NSWGR Eveleigh Workshops (builder's no. 57 of 1912) to a Beyer-Peacock & Co design as one of 145 members of the successful S-636 class 4-6-4T locomotives for Sydney suburban passenger duties. It was originally numbered S 1011 and later became 3090 in the NSWGR 1924 renumbering scheme.
Following the electrification of the Sydney suburban system, 3090 became one of 77 class members converted from 4-6-4T to 4-6-0 tender configuration for use on country branch lines. These converted locomotives were known as the (C)30T class to differentiate them from the remaining 68 (C)30 class tank locomotives, the "T" denoting tender locomotive. The (C)30T class replaced a mixed fleet of older 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 locomotives allocated to country loco depots; indeed many (C)30T's were allocated second-hand bogie Baldwin or 6-wheeled tenders from the obsolete locomotives they were displacing. 3090 received its conversion to tender configuration in 1931 and became 3090T. At a later stage 3090T was further modified by the fitting of a superheated boiler, which significantly improved both power and fuel efficiency.
Towards the end of its career 3090T could be found working the Merriwa branch and finished this duty in 1970. A period of shunting at Port Waratah followed and 3090T became the last (C)30T locomotive in service when withdrawn by the NSWGR on 1 September 1972. Together with the final few NSWGR steam locomotives it was transferred to Enfield depot for storage and disposal. Fortunately it was purchased in 1974 for addition to the Dorrigo Steam Railway & Museum collection. After a period in store at Rhondda Colliery it was rail hauled to Glenreagh in the mid-80's.
It is interesting to note that 3090T is preserved with the tender last allocated to sister 3144T; this tender is a 6-wheel 32-class tender with equalised springing on the rear two axles. 3144T was repainted to light green livery by Dubbo shed staff in 1967 and this livery can still be seen on the tender, together with the 3144T road number, under a thin coat of black paint.
This photo is courtesy of Mark Newton and shows 3090T at Dorrigo in 1999.
The extended smokebox to accommodate the superheater can be seen.
"A Compendium of New South Wales Steam Locomotives" compiled by Alex Grunbach, published by the
Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Wales Division, 1989.
|b||Kramer, J. 'The Dorrigo Steam Railway & Museum - an Illustrated Guide', published by the Dorrigo Steam Railway & Museum, 1987. Printed by North Coast News Pty Ltd, 53 Moonee St, Coffs Harbour 2450 NSW.|
Webmaster's observation or comment
Page updated: 1 September 2013