No.

Photo

Class

Wheel Arrang't

Builder's No. & Year

Status

Location

Notes

3' 6" Gauge

3

A10

0-4-2

Neilson 1214 of 1866

Workshop

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.3 was one of the early locomotives built for the Queensland Government Railways and lasted in service until 1914.  Fortunately it was retained for preservation and has been displayed in a number of locations over the years.  No.3 is currently being restored to operation at The Workshops museum, Ipswich.

6

A10

0-4-2

Neilson 1170 of 1865

Operational

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.6 featured as an operational locomotive in QR centenary celebrations in 1965.  It was plinthed within the former Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1991.  No.6 has since been transferred to the new Ipswich Railway Workshops Museum as one of the prime exhibits.

10

4D10

2-4-2T

Neilson 1209 of 1866

Plinthed

 (Boiler only)

Caboolture

Displayed at Caboolture is the boiler of 4D10-class loco no.10.  This interesting relic was submerged in Lagoon Creek, Caboolture for many decades, having last worked as a stationary boiler at a railway water supply facility.

131

4D9

 2-4-2T

Dubs 1415 of 1880

Display

Don River Railway,

Don, Tasmania

No.131 has an interesting history, including use at Childers Sugar Mill and construction duties on the Macquarie Harbour breakwater at Strahan, Tasmania.  It is now a static exhibit at the Don River Railway.

202

A10

2-4-0

Vulcan 802 of 1877 / Fairlie 602 of 1877

Workshop

Croydon

A10 No.202 is one of the fascinating survivors on the Normanton-Croydon railway in the Queensland Gulf territory. No.202 is currently being rebuilt to operation by Croydon Shire Council.

203

A10

2-4-0

Vulcan 803 of 1877 / Fairlie 604 of 1877

Derelict

Normanton

A10 No.203 is one of the fascinating survivors on the Normanton-Croydon railway in the Queensland Gulf territory.  Its boiler ended its days at the Clarina pump, whilst the loco frames and tender remain at Normanton.

204

A10

2-4-0

Vulcan 804 of 1877 / Fairlie 603 of 1877

Derelict

Croydon

A10 No.204 is one of the fascinating survivors on the Normanton-Croydon railway in the Queensland Gulf territory. 

28

B12

2-6-0

Kitson 2042 of 1875

Derelict

Normanton

B12 No.28 is one of the fascinating survivors on the Normanton-Croydon railway in the Queensland Gulf territory. 

31

Photo required

B12

2-6-0

Avonside 1179 / Fairlie 587 of 1877

Dismantled, incomplete

Aramac

(Central Western Qld)

And

Kallangur

(north of Brisbane)

B12 No.31 was purchased second hand by the Aramac Shire Council in 1911 for their Aramac Tramway.  Although the firebox was scrapped in 1939, the rest of the locomotive remained at Aramac and was obtained for preservation.

40

B12

2-6-0

Dubs 1136 of 1878

Components

Cooktown

This loco was transferred to the isolated Cooktown-Laura railway in 1910, and written off in 1928.  Some components remain at Cooktown in the former railway yards.

48

B13

4-6-0

Dubs 1741 of 1883

Stored

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.48 is an example of the short-wheelbase B13 design. No.48 was sold to Bingera Mill in 1944 but donated back to QGR in 1969 for display at the former Redbank Railway Museum, where it was located from 1970 to 1992.  No.48 is now located in a storage shed at the Ipswich Railway Workshops Museum, as seen in this photo of 8 October 2004, and awaits removal of boiler lagging and repainting before it can be publicly displayed.

79

B13

4-6-0

Dubs 2062 of 1885

Display

(boiler only)

Esk

This B13 boiler is survivor from a railway water supply facility.  It lay abandoned beside Redbank Creek at Esk for many years until retrieved for repair and display.

161

B13

4-6-0

Kitson 2894 of 1885

Display

Normanton

B13 No.161 is one of the fascinating survivors on the Normanton-Croydon railway in the Queensland Gulf territory. No.161 is currently displayed at Normanton station in "Gulflander" livery, after many decades of languishing incomplete in the sidings.

234

B13

4-6-0

Phoenix 15 of 1892

Derelict

Normanton

B13 No.234 is one of the fascinating survivors on the Normanton-Croydon railway in the Queensland Gulf territory.

-

?

?

?

Abt-rack pinion drive

Mount Morgan Railway Museum

This fascinating relic is all that remains of the Abt tank locomotives which worked the rack railway to Mount Morgan; refer here for some history and photos.

290

B15

4-6-0

Yorkshire Engine Co 532 of 1895

Stored

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.290 had been plinthed within the former Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1992.  It is now located in a storage shed at the rear of the Ipswich Railway Workshops Museum, as seen in this photo of 8 October 2004.  No.290 is awaiting removal of boiler lagging and repainting before it can be publicly displayed.

299

B15

4-6-0

Walkers 1 of 1897

Operational

Maryborough

(Railway Station)

No. 299 was the first locomotive built by Walkers Limited in Maryborough.  It is now proudly displayed at the old Maryborough station in recognition of its special place in the history of the city.  No. 299 has been put into steam from time to time, and is notionally operational.  This locomotive hauled occasional tour trains on the nearby Hervey Bay branch (since closed) in the 1970's and 80's.

444

PB15

4-6-0

Walkers 89 of 1908

Display

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.444 is an example of the Stephenson's link valve motion variant of the PB15 class.  No.444 was plinthed within the former Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1992.  It is now proudly displayed at the entrance to the Ipswich Railway Workshops Museum, as shown in this photo of 17 November 2002.

448

PB15

4-6-0

Walkers 93 of 1908

Operational

Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway,

Box Flat

No.448 has for many years been the flagship locomotive for the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway for their operations near Ipswich.  No.448 has recently been fully rebuilt and returned to operation by the QPSR following a 12 year overhaul.

454

PB15

4-6-0

Walkers 99 of 1909

Workshop

Bellarine Railway,

Queenscliff, Victoria

No.454 operates tourist trains on the Bellarine Peninsular Railway, near Geelong, Victoria.  This photo (dated 3 April 2002, courtesy R. Bird) shows 454 resting cold at Queenscliff station.  UPDATE: 454 was out of service as at March 2007 pending overhaul.  Apparently the overhaul of 454 will now start in earnest in 2010, following completion of T251's rebuilding and return to service.

732

PB15

4-6-0

Walkers 379 of 1926

Stored

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.732 is an example of the more modern Walschaerts valve gear variant of the PB15 class.  No. 732 was used for tours on QR network but is currently awaiting overhaul at the Ipswich Railway Workshops Museum, as shown in this photo of 17 November 2002.

738

PB15

4-6-0

Walkers 385 of 1926

Display

Rosewood Railway,

ARHS Qld

No.738 had been used on tourist trains on the Rosewood Railway at Kunkala, near Ipswich, until late 2004 when stopped for boiler overhaul.  A spare PB15 boiler is also stored at the museum & workshops at Kunkala. This photo of December 2002 shows 738 at Rosewood (with home-made axlebox rain covers on the tender).

106

C16

4-8-0

Toowoomba Foundry 28 of 1914

Workshop

Darling Downs Historical Rail Society Ltd,

Toowoomba

No. 106 is the last survivor of the 152 members of the C16 class.  No.106 was displayed at the former Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1992.  It was later stored at the QR Redbank workshops, as seen in this photo of 6 July 1999 kindly provided by Andrew Ham. No.106 moved to Toowoomba on 26 October 2001 and is now being restored to operation at Pittsworth by the Darling Downs Historical Rail Society, whose website features newsletters and photos featuring No.106.

398

B13 1/2

0-6-0

Ipswich Railway Workshops 4 of 1904

Plinthed

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.398 was one of 6 locomotives in this class, and was the works shunter at Ipswich for many years where it was named 'Pompey'.  This class were originally built as a 0-6-0T but later converted to tender engines. Pompey was originally preserved at Ipswich workshops and has now been included in the new Ipswich Workshops Museum.  It is plinthed in the museum forecourt, as seen in this photo of November 2002.

2

C17

4-8-0

Evans Anderson Phelan 169 of 1923

Stored

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No. 2 was plinthed within the former QR Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1992, providing an example of an early C17 locomotive.  (Sister loco No. 1000 provided a contrasting example of a more modern C17.)  No. 2 is now located in a storage shed at the rear of The Workshops museum, Ipswich, awaiting removal of boiler lagging and repainting before it can be publicly displayed.

45

C17

4-8-0

Evans Anderson Phelan 168 of 1923

Operational

Mary Valley Heritage Railway,

Gympie

No.45 was plinthed in Andrew Fisher Park, Gympie for many years.  Following the scrapping of sister park loco C17 No.820 at Gympie in 1982, No.45 was also threatened with scrapping until concerned locals stepped in to the rescue and it was transferred to the Gympie & District Historical Society Museum on 4 January 1984.  Here No.45 was gradually restored to operation, being recommissioned on 10 October 1992.  No.45 was transferred to the newly-formed Mary Valley Heritage Railway on 17 September 1996 and subsequently hauled the first ‘Valley Rattler’ .train on 23 May 1998, becoming the flagship locomotive of the MVHR fleet.

251

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 327 of 1920

Plinthed

Townsville

No.251 is the oldest of the surviving C17 locos.  It is displayed under a weather roof at the live steam association park in central Townsville, but had previously been plinthed at The Strand on the Townsville beachfront.

253

C17

4-8-0

Evans Anderson Phelan 158 of 1921

Workshop

Mary Valley Heritage Railway,

 Gympie

No.253 had been plinthed in a park at Mundubbera until 2003 when acquired by the Mary Valley Heritage Railway (MVHR) in a swap with C17 965.  No. 253 is currently under restoration in the MVHR workshop and will be known as 'Mundubbera' when recommissioned.  This C17 locomotive is unusual in that it carries an additional sand dome which was fitted to assist tender-first running on the Yandaran line, which did not have a turntable.

705

C17

4-8-0

Evans Anderson Phelan 176 of 1926

Stored

Mary Valley Heritage Railway,

Gympie

No.705 was plinthed for many years in a kindergarten in Brisbane's inner suburb of Spring Hill, where it carried the plates and identity of scrapped sister No.752.  During 2009, C17 No.705 was acquired by the Mary Valley Heritage Railway and relocated to their Gympie base, where it is now stored.

719

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 347 of 1922

Plinthed

Jandowae

No.719 is plinthed at Jandowae, west of Toowoomba, where it is displayed under a weather roof.

720

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 348 of 1922

Operational

Rosewood Railway,

ARHS Qld

No.720 had been plinthed at Goondiwindi until donated to the Australian Railway Historical Society (Queensland Division) in 1993.  No.720 received a complete overhaul by ARHS volunteers with a successful first test run at the Rosewood Railway Museum on 10 June 2007.  No.720 has been named ‘Ken Beggs’ and is now the regular traffic loco on the Rosewood Railway Museum’s line between Kunkala and Cabanda stations on the former Marburg branch line.

761

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 422 of 1927

Plinthed

Mitchell

No.761 is plinthed in a park at Mitchell.

763

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 424 of 1927

Stored

Rosewood Railway,

ARHS Qld

No.763 had been plinthed in the Brisbane suburb of Icatha, where it appears to have eventually become an unwanted billboard for graffiti.  Fortunately the Australian Railway Historical Society (Qld Division) stepped in, acquiring No.763 around 1996.  It was subsequently transferred to their Rosewood Railway and placed in long-term storage.

779

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 406 of 1926

Scrapped

(Cloncurry)

No.779 was plinthed at Cloncurry around 1977 but is reported to have been scrapped by the Australian Army in 1979.

802

C17

4-8-0

Armstrong Whitworth 850 of 1927

Operational

Mary Valley Heritage Railway,

Gympie

No.802 is one of a batch of 25 C17 class locomotives built by Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth & Co. Ltd at their Scotswood Works, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and delivered to Brisbane’s Pinkenba wharf in 1927.  Upon retirement No.802 was plinthed in a park at Roma until acquired by the MVHR in March 2000 and restored to operation in 2003 for use on their popular “Valley Rattler” tourist train.  The restored No.802 'Roma' follows the MVHR tradition of being named after the town in which it was once plinthed, and now sports a B18 1/4 tender and a suburban D17 whistle.

809

C17

4-8-0

Armstrong Whitworth 857 of 1927

Plinthed

Injune

No.809 is plinthed in a park at Injune.  This locomotive is possibly No.824 wearing 809's pates.

812

C17

4-8-0

Armstrong Whitworth 860 of 1927

Stored

Southern Downs Steam Railway,

Warwick

No.812 was plinthed at Atherton until restored to operation by a local group that sought to establish a tourist railway from Atherton to Herberton.  No.812 operated at Atherton for several years from the mid-1990's but my visit in July 2004 found the Atherton section suspended due to track condition.  No.812 is now privately owned and has been leased to the Southern Downs Steam Railway, Warwick, where it arrived in September 2016.  Here it will be overhauled for operation on tourist train services, providing a second loco to their restored C17 No.971.

819

C17

4-8-0

Armstrong Whitworth 867 of 1927

Dismantled

Mary Valley Heritage Railway,

Gympie

No.819 had been plinthed in Mary Kathleen Park and Museum, Cloncurry until acquired by the Mary Valley Heritage Railway, Gympie for intended restoration as a second locomotive for their “Mary Valley Rattler” operation on the branch line to Imbil.  No.819 was road-hauled to Gympie, arriving on 11 September 1996.  My visit to Gympie on 28 January 2004 found No.819 stripped down for assessment.

820

C17

4-8-0

Armstrong Whitworth 868 of 1927

Scrapped

(Gympie)

No.820 was presented by Queensland Railways in 1969 to Widgee Shire Council for display in MacDonnell Park, Gympie.  Unfortunately it was scrapped by Gympie Apex Club in 1982.

922

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 485 of 1946

Boiler, Tender only

Grandchester

The boiler of C17 No.922 provides power for a sawmill in Grandchester, west of Ipswich, where it retains the smokebox, headlight, numberplates and boiler clothing of No.922.

934

C17

4-8-0

Clyde 501 of 1949

Operational

Zig Zag Railway,

Lithgow, NSW

No.934 was acquired by the Zig Zag Railway direct from Queensland Railways in 1975 and has been a regular traffic loco on the Zig Zag Railway since restoration was completed in the early 1980’s.   In recent years it has worn "Hogwarts Express" red livery in support of occasional Harry Potter theme days held on the Zig Zag Railway.

935

C17

4-8-0

Clyde 503 of 1949

Stored

Rosewood Railway,

ARHS Qld

No.935 had been plinthed in the Brisbane suburb of Virginia.  It became derelict while plinthed at Virginia and appears to have been under threat of scrapping, but fortunately it was rescued by the Australian Railway Historical Society (Qld Division) and placed in storage at their Rosewood Railway, west of Brisbane.

944

C17

4-8-0

Clyde 509 of 1950

Displayed

Miles Historical Village

No.944 is displayed in the Miles Historical Village at Miles, west of Toowoomba.

965

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 502 of 1950

Plinthed

Mundubbera

No.965 was a park locomotive at Gladstone for many years.  It was later acquired by the Mary Valley Heritage Railway and swapped in 2003 for sister C17 No.253 which had been displayed at Mundubbera.  No.965 is now plinthed at Mundubbera, albeit in a different park to that which had been home to No.253.

966

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 503 of 1950

Stored

Zig Zag Railway,

Lithgow, NSW

No.966 has done some travels in preservation.  Upon retirement it was plinthed at Cooee Bay, Yeppoon for Livingstone Shire Council.  It was later acquired by the Capricornian Historical Steam Train Association and relocated to Archer Park, Rockhampton.  By 1994 the loco had become derelict and was offered for sale, being purchased later that year by the Zig Zag Railway following an appeal for donations from members.  It was transported to Lithgow, NSW, where it remains in storage pending future restoration.

967

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 504 of 1950

Operational

Mary Valley Heritage Railway,

Gympie

No.967 was originally plinthed at Bulcock Beach, Caloundra, but has since travelled extensively during its preservation life.  It was purchased in 1985 by the Ghan Preservation Society, Alice Springs and exhibited as 'gatekeeper' at their MacDonnell station and depot.  In 2000, No. 967 was purchased by Beaudesert Rail and restored to operation in early 2003 for use on Beaudesert - Logan tourist trains.  No. 967 was purchased by the Mary Valley Heritage Railway in 2007 for use on ‘The Valley Rattler’ tourist train, based at Gympie.

971

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 508 of 1950

Operational

Southern Downs Steam Railway,

Warwick

No. 971 had been plinthed at a museum in Chinchilla until approximately 1999, when it was acquired by the Southern Downs Steam Railway and transferred to the old Warwick roundhouse for restoration to working order.  No. 971 is now in operational condition after reboilering and 7 years of rebuilding by Southern Downs Steam Railway volunteers.

974

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 511 of 1951

Operational

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No. 974 is a stalwart of the QR heritage steam locomotive fleet, having served on many tour trains over the years since withdrawal from regular service.  No. 974 is based at The Workshops railway museum, Ipswich where in recent years it has received a heavy overhaul including a new welded boiler and automatic couplers.

980

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 517 of 1951

Displayed

Blackwater

No. 980 is displayed in at Blackwater, together with a short train.

988

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 525 of 1952

Display

Archer Park Station & Steam Tram Museum, Rockhampton

No.988 was plinthed in a Cairns park following retirement and has since had some interesting travels.  Queensland Rail assessed No.988 for overhaul in the late 1980's with a view to using it on their popular Cairns - Kuranda tourist trains, but unfortunately this restoration did not proceed.  In 2001 it was leased to Movieworld, Coomera where it was masqueraded as “5972 Hogwarts Castle” of Harry Potter fame.  After a decade as the centrepiece of the Harry Potter display, No.988 was relocated to the Archer Park Station & Steam Tram Museum, Rockhampton where it has been cosmetically restored to its authentic “Brown Bomber” livery.

996

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 533 of 1953

Stored

Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway, Box Flat

No.996 was displayed in a park at The Broadwater, Gold Coast for many years, near to the location of the former Southport railway station.  It has since been acquired by the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway and was transferred to their Swanbank / Box Flat site on 22 June 2005, where it is securely stored pending possible future restoration.

1000

C17

4-8-0

Walkers 537 of 1953

Workshop / display

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.1000 was plinthed at the Queensland Railways Steam Locomotive Museum, Redbank from 1970 to 1992, providing an example of the most modern C17 locomotives.  (Sister loco No. 2 provided a contrasting example of an early C17.)  No.1000 had since been under a slow but thorough heavy overhaul at The Workshops museum, Ipswich, with the intention that it would join sister No.974 in the fleet of steam locos available for main line operations.  Unfortunately this effort had apparently stalled as at June 2012 due to the need for a new boiler.  In the interim, No.1000 is displayed in its dismantled state on the workshop floor, showing its various components and providing an example of how locomotives are repaired.

( - )

?

-

-

Derelict tender tank

-

Over the years I have seen a number of former steam locomotive tender tanks in use on farm properties, particularly in Victoria.  Ken McHugh has provided this interesting photo of an ex-QGR example; apparently the owner purchased it from scrap yard in early 1970's as he required a tank for molasses.  He went to the scrap yard looking for a more conventional tank and brought this home!

700

C19

4-8-0

Ipswich Railway Workshops 98 of 1923

Stored

The Workshops,

Ipswich

C19 No. 700 was plinthed within the former Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1992.  No. 700 is now located in a storage shed at the rear of the Ipswich Railway Workshops Museum, as seen in this photo of 8 October 2004, where it awaits removal of boiler lagging and repainting before it can be publicly displayed.

771

B18 1/4

4-6-2

Ipswich Railway Workshops 128 of 1929

Stored

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.771 was plinthed within the former Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1992.  No 771 then joined the other former Redbank exhibits in storage at the Redbank Workshops.  No. 771 is now located in a storage shed at the rear of the Ipswich Railway Workshops Museum, as seen in this photo of 8 October 2004, where it awaits removal of boiler lagging and repainting before it can be publicly displayed.   Sister loco No. 843 was used for railtour duties in the 1970's but regrettably was later scrapped and No. 771 is now the only remaining B18 1/4 locomotive.

1037

BB18 1/4

4-6-2

Vulcan Foundry 5963 of 1950

Workshop

Mackay Heritage Railway Inc.

No.1037 had been displayed at the old Mackay railway station until donated to Mackay Heritage Railway Inc. circa 2000 for restoration to operation.  It was transferred to their storage shed and workshop in the Mackay Harbour precinct, where overhaul is progressing as manpower and funds permit.

1072

BB18 1/4

4-6-2

Walkers 540 of 1956

Operational

Zig Zag Railway,

Lithgow, NSW

No.1072 was sold to the Zig Zag Railway Co-op Society around 1975.  Here it received the name "City of Lithgow" which is carried via impressive brass nameplates over the driving wheel splashers.  No.1072 was restored to operation and entered Zig Zag Railway service around 1981 and has generally remained in service since, excluding periods of overhaul.

1077

BB18 1/4

4-6-2

Walkers 545 of 1956

Display

Winton

No.1077 is displayed at the Waltzing Matilda Centre in Winton. There has been some confusion about the identity this locomotive; while it wears the builders plate of sister No.1028 (Vulcan Foundry B/N 5916 of 1950) and is often reported as No.1015 (Vulcan Foundry B/N 5903 of 1950), detailed inspection of the work stamps on various components shows that it is actually No.1077.

1079

BB18 1/4

4-6-2

Walkers 547 of 1956

Operational

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.1079 was retained by Queensland Railways for historical and tourist train duties, being based and maintained with the small fleet of heritage steam locomotives at Ipswich Workshops.   In more recent times the Ipswich Workshops have been transformed into "The Workshops" railway museum and 1079 has been joined at Ipswich by the ex-Redbank Museum exhibits.

1086

BB18 1/4

4-6-2

Walkers 554 of 1957

Stored

Mackay Heritage Railway Inc.

No.1086 was originally donated to the Emerald Chamber of Commerce and had been plinthed in a park at Emerald.  It was acquired by Mackay Heritage Rail circa 2000 for intended restoration to operation (together with sister No.1037) and No.1086 was transferred to Mackay for storage.

1089

BB18 1/4

4-6-2

Walkers 557 of 1958

Operational

The Workshops,

Ipswich

No.1089 is notable as the final steam locomotive to be constructed in Australia and also the last to enter service with the Queensland Railways.  It was plinthed within the former Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1992.  No.1089 has since been restored to operation at the Ipswich workshops, with its first mainline test run on 12 December 2001.

268

D17

4-6-4T

Ipswich Railway Workshops 112 of 1925

Operational

RAILCO

Ravenshoe

No. 268 spent its QR years hauling Brisbane suburban trains before being retired.  She was later restored to operation by RAILCO, and is now employed on their tourist railway from Ravenshoe north to Tumoulin.  As a tank loco No. 268 would have been too heavy for the Ravenshoe line and thus the loco was restored to operation minus side tanks in order to reduce the axle load.  The side tanks are now stored at Ravenshoe for possible future use.   This photo shows No. 268 in operation at Ravenshoe in July 1996.  Here is a more recent photo (26 November 2006) kindly provided by Ken McHugh.

855

D17

4-6-4T

Ipswich Railway Workshops 155 of 1938

Stored

Rosewood Railway,

ARHS Qld

No. 855 had been plinthed at rural Murgon, far from its working life hauling suburban trains in Brisbane, but was later obtained by the Rosewood Railway.  It is currently stored as seen in this photo of December 2002.  I understand that this locomotive has an axle-load too heavy for the Rosewood Railway's current infrastructure.  Here is an earlier photo, kindly provided by Anthony Winstone, which shows No. 855 at Rosewood before it was placed in storage.

1046

DD17

4-6-4T

Ipswich Railway Workshops 205 of 1950

Workshop

Zig Zag Railway,

Lithgow, NSW

1046 was purchased direct from Queensland Railways by the ZZR, together with 1047 and 1049.  In 1974 she became the first steam loco to work on the Lithgow Zig Zag since 1910, when the ZZR opened as a tourist railway. No. 1046 operated in the original 'Blue Baby' livery of sky blue from 1974 to approximately 1980, when it was stopped owing to frame cracks and general mechanical condition. Since then the frame cracks have been repaired by welding and the locomotive was taken to 'Skills West' at Penrith for overhaul in the mid-90's but this overhaul was later cancelled and 1046 now rests dismantled at the Zig Zag Railway. This photo shows the engine frames, boiler and original and replacement bunkers stored at Top Points.  Here is a link to the 1046 page on my old Zig Zag Photos site.

1047

DD17

4-6-4T

Ipswich Railway Workshops 206 of 1951

Stored

Zig Zag Railway,

Lithgow, NSW

1047 was operational on the Zig Zag Railway during the 1980's but is now withdrawn from service pending overhaul and stored at Bottom Points. This 1980's photo shows 1047 at Top Points.  Here is a link to the 1047 page on my old Zig Zag Photos site.

1049

DD17

4-6-4T

Ipswich Railway Workshops 208 of 1951

Operational

Zig Zag Railway,

Lithgow, NSW

1049 had been stored at the ZZR from 1974 to 1994, when it was given a fast-track overhaul at 'Skills West' in Penrith. At that time it wore an attractive but non-authentic maroon livery, as seen in this photo of 1049 and 934 at Clarence Station on the Zig Zag Railway on 3/11/01.  Since that time 1049 has been repainted to a livery described by ZZR as 'Improved Thomas Blue', which is also not an authentic livery but is similar to the original 'Blue Baby' livery worn when in Brisbane suburban service (as per 1051 below), and which also appeals to 'Thomas' fans.  Here is a link to the 1049 page on my old Zig Zag Photos site.

1051

DD17

4-6-4T

Ipswich Railway Workshops 210 of 1952

Stored

The Workshops,

Ipswich

1051 was a static exhibit at the former Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1992, but was restored to operation in the mid-1990's for tours on the QR network. This photo is courtesy of Graham Watkins: 'DD17 1051 gets ready to leave Mitchelton on another run to Ferny Grove as part of the Mitchelton Heritage Festival on 29 July 2001'.  Unfortunately 1051 has since been stopped for overhaul and reboilering, and is stored at The Workshops railway museum, Ipswich awaiting manufacture of a new welded boiler.  UPDATE: As at June 2012, loco 1051 is still stored but components for the new boiler were delivered recently. Welding them together was supposed to start this month.

218A

AC16

2-8-2

Baldwin 69453 of 1943

Operational

Zig Zag Railway,

Lithgow, NSW

AC16 No.218A is a 2-8-2 freight locomotive supplied from the USA to the Queensland Government Railways during World War 2 as one of 20 'AC16 class' locomotives under wartime lend-lease arrangements.

221A

AC16

2-8-2

Baldwin 69456 of 1943

Operational

The Workshops,

Ipswich

AC16 No.221 was plinthed at the Redbank Railway Museum from 1970 to 1992.  It was transferred to Ipswich Railway Workshops at the closure of the Redbank Railway Museum and has since been restored to operation, including the manufacture at Ipswich workshops of a new welded boiler.

ASG

ASG

4-8-2 + 2-8-4

Various

Water Tank

Rosewood Railway,

ARHS Qld

The Australian Standard Garratt (ASG) was designed by the Commonwealth Land Transport Board in 1942 in response to the urgent wartime need for powerful locomotives for the nations 3' 6" gauge railways.  None of the ASG locomotives allocated to the Queensland Government Railways have survived, however a welded front water tank has been preserved by the Australian Railway Historical Society (Queensland Division) and can be seen at the Rosewood Railway.

1009

Beyer- Garratt

4-8-2+  2-8-4

Beyer Peacock 7349 of 1950

Display

The Workshops,

Ipswich

Beyer-Garratt No.1009 had been plinthed within the former QR Redbank Steam Locomotive Museum from 1970 to 1992.  No.1009 was overhauled by Queensland Rail in 1995 and operated rail tours for several years, however it now requires boiler repairs.  This interesting locomotive can now usually be seen stored / displayed in the running shed area of The Workshops museum at Ipswich.

2" Gauge

11

B9 1/2

0-6-2

John Fowler 17110 of 1927

Stored

ANGRMS,

Woodford

No. 11 was one of 3 similar Fowler locomotives used by QR on the Innisfail tramway. The loco was withdrawn in 1963 and plinthed in a park at Innisfail, but later became derelict and was at risk of scrapping.  No. 11 was thus donated to ANGRMS in 1976 and placed into storage. A more complete history can be found on the ANGRMS web page for No.11.  (In my humble opinion, a good future home for this locomotive would be the Ipswich Railway Workshops Museum, where properly restored it could represent QR involvement in light railways and the sugar industry.)