No.

Photo

Class

Wheel Arrang't

Builder's No & Year

Status

Location

Notes

South Australian Railways

5' 3" Gauge

P 117

P

2-4-0T

James Martin 57 of 1893

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

P 117 is displayed undercover at the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide.  It is an example of the Beyer Peacock & Co 2-4-0T passenger tank design first supplied to the Isle of Wight Railway.

Rx 5

Rx

4-6-0

SAR Islington Workshops 13 of 1909

Plinthed

Kapunda

Rx 5 was the first Rx-class locomotive built new to the Rx specification, rather than rebuilt from the earlier R-class.  The Rx-class ultimately numbered 84 examples and formed the backbone of the South Australian Railways broad-gauge loco fleet.  Rx 5 is plinthed in a park at Kapunda.

Rx 55

Rx

4-6-0

SAR Islington Workshops 25 of 1913

Plinthed

Loxton

Rx 55 is displayed within a local history museum located on the banks of the River Murray at Loxton.

Rx 93

Rx

4-6-0

Dubs 2142 of 1886

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

Rx 93 is the oldest of the preserved Rx class locomotives, and the only surviving Rx to have originally been built as a original R-class loco.

Rx 160

Rx

4-6-0

SAR Islington Workshops 29 of 1913

Display

Murray Bridge (Wharf Area)

Rx 160 is displayed alongside the Murray River at the old Murray Bridge wharf area.

Rx 191

Rx

4-6-0

SAR Islington Workshops 41 of 1916

Plinthed

Victor Harbour

Rx 191 is plinthed in a playground near the station at Victor Harbour, with an overhead roof but exposed to salt air from the nearby seaside. Rx 191 has a stovepipe chimney and an older-style 6-wheel tender which has now been cut down to the frame (presumably due to corrosion). 

Rx 201

Rx

4-6-0

North British 20152 of 1913

Plinthed

Tailem Bend

Rx 201 is plinthed in a park at the railway town of Tailem Bend, near to the historical railway station.  It retains its original copper-capped chimney but has become derelict in its years as a park locomotive.

Rx 207

Rx

4-6-0

North British 20156 of 1913

Operational

Steamranger Tourist Railway, Mt Barker

Rx 207 is preserved operational by SteamRanger and operates from their Mt Barker depot.

Rx 217

Rx

4-6-0

Walkers 245 of 1915

Plinthed

Nuriootpa

Rx 217 is plinthed in a park at Nuriootpa, north of Adelaide.

Rx 224

Rx

4-6-0

Walkers 252 of 1915

Workshop

Steamranger Tourist Railway, Mount Barker

Rx 224 was originally retained as a railtour engine, together with sister Rx 207.  Rx 224 currently requires a heavy overhaul, which is progressing in the SteamRanger workshop at Mt Barker.

Rx 231

Rx

4-6-0

Walkers 259 of 1915

Plinthed

Kadina

Rx 231 is plinthed in the Apex Park in central Kadina. It is fitted with a plain stovepipe chimney of the type that appears to have been common in the final years of SAR steam.

F 245

F

4-6-2T

James Martin 230 of 1915

Plinthed

Gawler

F 245 has been displayed at Gawler, north of Adelaide, since 1960.  In December 2002 it was relocated from Gawler oval to Gawler railway station for cosmetic restoration under a 'work for the dole' scheme, with a weather roof constructed.

F 251

F

4-6-2T

Perry, built 1922

Workshop

Steamranger Tourist Railway, Mt Barker

F 251 was condemned by the South Australian Railway in July 1962 and placed on display at Elizabeth West Shopping Centre.  It was purchased by the Australian Railway Historical Society (S. A. Division) in 1981 and transferred to their Dry Creek depot for restoration.  It has since operated on SteamRanger tourist services to Victor Harbour.  F 251 was withdrawn from service at the end of 2001 and is now under overhaul.

F 255

F

4-6-2T

Perry, built 1922

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

The handsome & well-proportioned F-class 4-6-2T locomotives were designed for suburban trains around Adelaide.  They performed well on suburban trains for many years, together with shunting duties, until displaced by the "Redhen" Diesel Multiple Units from the 1950's.  F 255 represents the F-class as a static exhibit at the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide.

504

500B

4-8-4

Armstrong Whitworth 637 of 1926

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

1926 marked the year that the South Australian Railways received the first American-style "big engines" of the 500, 600 and 700-classes.  The 500-class were built primarily for heavy passenger duties over the Adelaide Hills and were originally supplied as 4-8-2's.  Booster trucks were added in 1929 to make a 4-8-4 wheel arrangement.   Preserved loco 504 was named 'Tom Barr Smith' by the South Australian Railways and is the only survivor of the class.

520

520

4-8-4

Islington Workshops, built 1943

Under Overhaul

Steamranger Tourist Railway, Mt Barker

The 520 class were introduced from 1943 to provide a powerful locomotive capable of handling passenger turns on secondary lines; although large engines, the 4-8-4 wheel arrangement and 12-wheel bogie tender spread the weight and hence provided a low axle-load.  Class leader 520 has been maintained by SteamRanger for many years and is currently under overhaul at their Mt Barker depot after extensive railtour use during the 1970's and 1980's.

523

520

4-8-4

Islington Workshops, built 1944

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

The 520-class 4-8-4's No.523 -531 feature classic 'shark-nose' streamlining similar to the Pennsylvania Railroad T1 Duplex locomotives.  (The first three locomotives No.520, 521 & 522 featured a somewhat different shark-nose design.)  Preserved loco No.523 was named "Essington Lewis" by the South Australian Railways and is statically displayed within the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide.

526

-

520

4-8-4

Islington Workshops, built 1943

Scrapped in 1971

-

526 was scrapped in 1971 after a period of railtour use, being replaced in this role by 520. Some components remain as spares for 520, notably the driving wheels.  The nosecone (including chimney and road numbers) was apparently also saved by someone and restored as they were advertised for private sale in April 2003.

621

620

4-6-2

Islington Workshops, built 1936

Operational

Steamranger Tourist Railway, Mt Barker

The 620-class "Light Pacific" 4-6-2 locomotives were designed by the South Australian Railways to fill a gap between the 600-class heavy Pacifics on main line duties and the older Rx-class 4-6-0's and S-class 4-4-0's used on light country lines.  Ten 620-class locomotives were built by the South Australian Railways at Islington Workshops between 1936 and 1938.   621 has been cared for by Steamranger for many years and is based at their Mt Barker depot.

624

620

4-6-2

Islington Workshops, built 1937

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

624 was placed on static display at the Mile End Railway Museum in April 1967.  During 1988 it was transferred to the new Port Dock Station Museum at Port Adelaide (now known as the National Railway Museum) where it is prominently displayed in the main exhibit hall.

702

700

2-8-2

Armstrong Whitworth 645 of 1926

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

702 is the last survivor of the 700-series of heavy freight locomotives.  The first  700-class 2-8-2 locomotives were 10 examples delivered by Armstrong Whitworth in 1926, while a further 10 Australian built engines comprised the now-extinct 710 class.  An enlarged 2-8-4 version became the 720-class, while a further batch of 2-8-2's were the 740-class.

752

750

2-8-2

North British 26787 of 1951

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

752 was originally Victorian Railways N 477 prior to its sale to the South Australian Railways in 1951 after less than one month of use.  It is the only survivor of the 10 members of the 750 class and is displayed at the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide.

South Australian Railways

3' 6" Gauge

V 9

V

0-4-4

Beyer Peacock 1597 of 1877

Plinthed

Naracoorte

V 9 is the oldest preserved South Australian steam locomotive.  It is plinthed at Naracoorte and displayed under a shelter that provides good protection against the elements, but makes photography rather hard!

Wx 18

Wx

2-6-0

Beyer Peacock 1820 of 1879

Workshops

Pichi Richi Railway, Quorn

Wx 18 had been plinthed in Pioneer Park, Naracoorte since 1959.  It was acquired by the Pichi Richi Railway in 1985 and transferred to Quorn for restoration to operation.  Wx18 has been fully dismantled with all parts cleaned and painted, however restoration progress appears to have stalled.  The frames and other components are currently stored within the Pichi Richi Railway workshops.

W 53

Refer to Commonwealth Railways NF 5

W 54

Refer to Commonwealth Railways NF 6

Y 71

Y

2-6-0

Beyer Peacock 2762 of 1886

Display

ARHS Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth, WA

The SAR Y-class / WAGR G-class 2-6-0 design was popular with WA timber concerns for use on their timber tramways, with many units obtained second hand from the Government railway systems.  Among these was Y 71 which was sold to the West Australian Jarrah Forest Co. in 1927.  Y 71 is now displayed among the locomotive exhibits at the ARHS Railway Museum, Bassendean.

Y 82

Y

2-6-0

Beyer Peacock 2909 of 1888

Plinthed

Peterborough

Y 82 was withdrawn by the South Australian Railways in 1960 and plinthed at the Peterborough town pool and playground, where it remained for 40 years.  Y 82 was moved to the Steamtown Peterborough workshop in 2000 for cosmetic restoration.  It was then placed on display in the Peterborough town centre.

Yx 86

Y

2-6-0

Beyer Peacock 2913 of 1888

Display

ARHS Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth, WA

Y 86 was sold for railway building duties on the Oodnadatta to Alice Springs section of the Central Australia Railway and later purchased by Bunning Bros. for use in their West Australian timber operations.  It was rebuilt to Yx specification in 1958 by replacing the round-top boiler with a larger, higher pitched Belpaire boiler.  Yx 86 is now displayed among the locomotive exhibits at the ARHS Railway Museum, Bassendean.

Y 97

Y

2-6-0

Beyer Peacock 3147 of 1890

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

Y 97 was known as Peterborough shunter and features in many enthusiast photos of the Peterborough roundhouse in the 1960's.  It featured on some ARHS railtour duties towards the end of the steam era and was the last Y-class in service when withdrawn by the South Australian Railways in May 1970.

107

Refer to Commonwealth Railways NA 1 "'Sandfly"

Y 109

Y

2-6-0

James Martin 8 of 1890

Plinthed

Manjimup, WA (at the timber museum)

Y 109 was sold into the West Australian timber industry, where it was heavily rebuilt using a combination of SAR Y-class and WAGR G-class components, with a WAGR A-class 4-wheel tender.

Yx 135

Yx 135 was transferred to the Commonwealth Railways in 1943 for WW2 duty on the North Australia Railway.  It was renumbered NFB 88.

Yx 141

Yx

2-6-0

James Martin 43 of 1892

Operational

Pichi Richi Railway, Quorn

Yx 141 had been plinthed in a park at Port Lincoln until 1983, when it was acquired by the Pichi Richi Railway and transferred to Quorn.  It is now being comprehensively rebuilt in the PRR workshops.

Yx 176

Yx

2-6-0

James Martin 178 of 1898

Display

Yarloop Steam Workshops, Yarloop, WA

Y 176 was sold by the South Australian Railways in 19xx to XX for use in the West Australian timber industry.  It was rebuilt by Bunnings from Y to Yx specification in 1956. Yx 176 is now located at the excellent Yarloop Steam Workshop (within the former timber mill) and displayed together with a good collection of operating steam machinery.

SMC No.1

Steam Motor Coach No1; refer to Commonwealth Railways NJAB 1 "Coffee Pot"

Z 199

Z

4-4-0

Replica

Under Construction

Private site in SA

The Z-class passenger locomotives comprised 10 examples which, although built in Australia, appear to be to a classic Beyer-Peacock design for contemporary passenger locomotives.  Unfortunately none of the SAR Z-class survived into preservation, however a replica numbered Z 199 is under construction and significant progress has been made.

T 181

T

4-8-0

James Martin 182 of 1904

Display

Sulphide St Railway & Historical Museum, Broken Hill, NSW

T 181 survived into preservation after being swapped by the SAR for Silverton Tramway locomotive W23 and later donated by the Silverton Tramway Co.   T 181 had been plinthed in Imperial Park, Broken Hill during the 1970's but later moved to the excellent railway museum at the former Silverton Tramway station at Sulphide St, Broken Hill.

T 186

T

4-8-0

James Martin 198 of 1909

Stored

Pichi Richi Railway, Quorn

T 186 was maintained for many years as an operational locomotive at the Pichi Richi Railway, Quorn, where it provides authentic motive power for tourist trains through the Pichi Richi Pass.  T 186 is an oil burner and wears lined black livery.  T 186 was withdrawn from regular PRR service in early 2000 and is currently stored pending mechanical and boiler repairs.

T 199

T

4-8-0

James Martin 201 of 1912

Display

Steamtown, Peterborough

T 199 was plinthed at Peterborough for some years prior to being transferred into the roundhouse by the Steamtown organisation.  T 199 has now been statically restored and is displayed in the workshops at Steamtown Peterborough.

T 224

T

4-8-0

Walkers 224 of 1914

Display

Millicent

T 224 is an exhibit in the Millicent museum; this excellent regional museum is administered by the National Trust.  T 224 is displayed in a recreated goods shed, which provides good cover from the elements.

T 251

T

4-8-0

Walkers 276 of 1917

Operational

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff, Victoria

T 251 has been extensively rebuilt and recently returned to operation at the Bellarine Railway.

T 253

T

4-8-0

Walkers 278 of 1917

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

T 253 is displayed at the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide.

ASG

300

(ASG)

4-8-2 + 2-8-4

Various

-

-

The SAR obtained six Australian Standard Garratt (ASG)  locomotives second-hand from the WAGR in 1952.  These became 300-class locos 300-305 and worked for a few years as a stop-gap for the coming 400-class Beyer-Garratts.  While no ASGs are preserved in SA, sister G33 survives in Victoria.

402

400

4-8-2+2-8-4

Societe Franco F2975 of 1953

Stored

Zig Zag Railway, Lithgow, NSW

The 400-class Beyer-Garratt locomotives were purchased for the heavy Broken Hill (Cockburn) to Port Pirie ore trains.  Beyer Peacock & Co copied the proven East African Railways "60-class" design, with construction subcontracted to Societe Franco-Belge, France.  402 was retained at Peterborough for several years before moving the to Zig Zag Railway in 1976.

409

400

4-8-2+2-8-4

Societe Franco F2982 of 1953

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

409 was displayed from November 1970 at the open-air Mile End Railway Museum, Adelaide.  All Mile End exhibits transferred to the new National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide in 1988 and 409 is now a prime exhibit at Port Adelaide, displayed in the main exhibit hall in unlined black livery.