Displayed at Tailem Bend
Rx201 is displayed in a park near Tailem Bend station as seen in this scanned photo dating from May 1986.
Rx 201 was built by the North British Locomotive Company, Glasgow as builder's number 20152 of 1913, a joining the highly successful Rx-class of 4-6-0 mixed-traffic locomotives.
The Rx-class were developed from the earlier R-class 4-6-0 design of 1886 via adoption of a larger Belpaire boiler. A number of the class also received superheaters. The Rx-class ultimately grew to 84 examples comprising the 30 original R-class locos rebuilt to Rx specification, together with a further 54 built new, becoming the South Australian Railway's most numerous class of broad-gauge steam locomotive. The Rx-class were assigned to both passenger and freight turns until the arrival of larger locomotives in the 1920's, after which they settled in to branch line, suburban and shunting roles. In this capacity they lasted to the end of regular SAR steam operations. a
Rx 201 was condemned by the South Australian Railways on 18 September 1967 and placed at Tailem Bend on 16 November 1967. a Tailem Bend was a railway town and junction and accordingly Rx 201 is displayed in a playground near to the historic railway station. It retains its original copper-capped chimney, but has become derelict during its years as a park locomotive. The tender tank was cut down to the frame in late 1980's, presumably due to corrosion. This locomotive requires repair or rescue. b
|a||Fluck R. E., Sampson R., & Bird K. J. 'Steam locomotives and Railcars of the South Australian Railways', published by The Mile End Railway Museum (SA) Inc, 1986. pp.68 - 73|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 28 May 2013