No.

Photo

Class

Wheel Arrang't

Builder's No & Year

Status

Location

Notes

3' 6" Gauge

1

C

0-6-0ST + T

Stephenson 2391 of 1880

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

C 1 / Katie was built as a 0-6-0ST to the design of the New Zealand Railways F-class.  It was rebuilt to 0-6-0ST+T in 1887 including addition of a 4-wheel tender.  C 1 was sold to a timber concern in 1899.  In 1959 it was made available to the WAGR for historical purposes and statically restored at Midland Workshops.  "Katie" was originally plinthed at the Claremont Showground in Perth and later moved to the Australian Railway Historical Society (WA Division) Railway Museum at Bassendean.

11

A

2-6-0

Beyer Peacock 2652 of 1885

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

A 11 was withdrawn from WAGR service in January 1955 and fortunately retained for preservation, being plinthed later that year at South Perth Zoo.  In 1969, loco A 11 was transferred to the Australian Railway Historical Society (WA Division) Railway Museum at Bassendean, becoming their first locomotive exhibit.

15

A

2-6-0

Beyer Peacock 2711 of 1886

Operational

Meredith, Victoria

A 15 was the last A-class in WAGR traffic when withdrawn in October 1955 and was placed in a Bunbury park in July 1956.  In 1982 locomotive A 15 was sold for private preservation and restoration in Victoria and has since been under restoration at a private site with the restoration reported in 2013 as having been steamed, however I understand that the future destination for this locomotive has not yet been finalised.

18

H

0-6-0T

Neilson, Reid & Co. 3631 of 1887

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

H 18 ended its career at Bunbury where it had found use on jetty and other shunting duties. It was presented to the Australian Railway Historical Society (WA Division) as early as 1962 and displayed at Bassendean until 1996, at which stage it moved to Midland Workshops for intended restoration to operation. Unfortunately a new boiler was found to be required, but full mechanical overhaul was completed (pending the possibility of future boiler replacement) and H 18 has now been beautifully restored and returned to static display at the Railway Museum, Bassendean.

53

G

2-6-0

James Martin 117 of 1895

Plinthed

Pemberton

G 53 went to the Commonwealth Railways in 1942 for war-time duty on the North Australia Railway at Darwin, becoming Nfc 69. After the war the North Australia Railway had excess locomotives and Nfc 69 was sold to the State Saw Mills where it was numbered SSM No.7, in which identity it is preserved.

55

G

2-6-0

Neilson & Co 4833 of 1895

Scrapped

-

G 55 was plinthed in a park at Rockingham in 1965.  Unfortunately it was subsequently scrapped.

71

G

4-6-0

Dubs 3497 of 1897

Stored dismantled

Hotham Valley Tourist Railway, Pinjarra

No.71 'Menzies' was originally WAGR loco G 111.  It is under restoration to operation for use on the Etmilyn Forest Explorer which operates from Dwellingup on the HVTR.  No.71 has yet to operate in preservation and was fully dismantled at the Pinjarra depot of the HVTR at the time of my visit on 12 May 2002.

117

G

4-6-0

Dubs 3501 of 1897

Display

Merredin

G 117 is displayed within a museum based at the Merredin railway station.

118

G

4-6-0

Dubs 3502 of 1897

Display

Kalamunda

G 118 is displayed at the old Kalamunda railway station, which is now incorporated within the Kalamunda Historic Village museum.

123

G

4-6-0

Dubs 3507 of 1897

Workshops

Hotham Valley Tourist Railway, Pinjarra

G123 (and G233) were previously used on 'Leschenault Lady' trains around Bunbury during 1970's and 1980's. G123 had been used on the Etmilyn Forest Explorer operation on the HVTR in 2001. Photo date 12 May 2002 shows G123 in the depot at Pinjarra, where it is awaiting boiler work.

174

R

4-4-0

Dubs 3674 of 1898

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

R 174 is the only survivor of a class of 24 locomotives, originally built for passenger work. 14 R-class locomotives (including R174) were later converted to 4-4-2 in order to reduce axle-load for use on secondary routes. R174 was withdrawn in 1953, restored to 4-4-0, and plinthed outside the Railway Institute Library at Midland Junction. In 1972  it was moved to a new plinth at Midland Centrepoint Shopping Centre where it is seen in this photo of 9 May 2002.  UPDATE: The Midland Centrepoint Shopping Centre is being redeveloped and R174 has been donated to WA Rail Heritage for display at Bassendean, where it arrived on 13 March 2011.

233

G

2-6-0

James Martin 174 of 1898

Operational

Golden Mile Loopline Railway, Boulder (near Kalgoorlie)

G233 (and sister G123) were previously used on the 'Leschenault Lady' tourist trains around Bunbury during 1970's and 1980's.  G233 was overhauled at the Midland Workshops in 1999 and is now working tourist trains on the historic 'loopline' at Kalgoorlie in the WA Goldfields.  This photo is kindly provided by Chris Stratton and shows G233 awaiting its next use on the Leschenault Lady at Bunbury on 15 April 1985.

201

N

4-4-4T

Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn 2886 of 1898

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

This class of locomotive was originally designed for suburban passenger trains around Perth and Kalgoorlie. N201 is the only 4-4-4T preserved in Australia.  Photo (9 May 2002) shows N201 awaiting repainting in the storage area of the Bassendean museum.

204

 

K

2-8-4T

Neilson Reid & Co ? of 1900

Scrapped

South Africa

The 24 members of the K-class were introduced for freight work on the Eastern Goldfields Railway, becoming the most powerful locomotive in WA at the time. A further 6 were ordered by the British War Office for use in the Boer War in South Africa (Neilson B/Nos. 5897-5902), eventually becoming Central South African C-class. Although extinct in Western Australia, No.204 (last used by Clydesdale Collieries) had survived longer in South Africa.  I understand this locomotive has now unfortunately also been scrapped, thus rendering the type extinct on both continents.

218

O

2-8-0T+T

Dubs 3585 of 1898

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

The O-class was designed as a light-lines version of the K-class 2-8-4T freight locomotives, and some were also rebuilt to N-class 4-4-4T using common design components. Photo (9/5/02) shows O 218 at Bassendean.

308

Es

4-6-2

Vulcan Foundry 1846 of 1903

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

The E-class represents one of the world's earliest pacific-type locomotives.  308 was reclassified to Es-class following superheating. Photo (9/5/02) shows Es308 at Bassendean.

452

Fs

4-8-0

North British 20087 of 1913

Display

Collie

The F-class heavy freight locomotives were introduced in 1902 and later superheated to become the Fs-class.  Fs 452 is displayed in the Collie Museum together with W 943 and V 1215.

460

Fs

4-8-0

North British 20096 of 1913

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

Fs 460 is displayed at the Railway Museum, Bassendean.

508

P

4-6-2

North British 23150 of 1924

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

The P-class were built as main-line express passenger locomotives. Photo (9 May 2002) shows P508 displayed at Bassendean.

521

Pr

4-6-2

W.A.G.R, built 1938

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

The Pr-class were an improved version of the earlier P-class. Photo ( 9 May 2002) shows Pr521 'Ashburton' at Bassendean.

542

S

4-8-2

W.A.G.R, built 1943

Plinthed

East Perth Railway Terminal

The S-class was the first locomotive type to be designed and built in WA, and comprised 10 members. S 542 "Bakewell" has been plinthed at East Perth Railway Terminal since 1976.

547

S

4-8-2

W.A.G.R, built 1947

Stored

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff, Victoria

S 547 'Lindsay' was one of the final steam locos acquired from the WAGR for preservation, and is stored awaiting restoration at the Bellarine Railway.

549

S

4-8-2

W.A.G.R, built 1947

Operational

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

S 549 'Greenmount' had been a static exhibit at Bassendean prior to 1985.  It was restored to operation in 1995, including the reinstatement of the full-length boiler cowling.

ASG

ASG

4-8-2 + 2-8-4

Various

Components only

Midland Workshops

and

Yarloop Workshops

The Australian Standard Garratt (ASG) was proposed and designed by the Commonwealth Land Transport Board in 1942 in response to the urgent need for powerful locomotives for the 3' 6" gauge railways of Australia during World War 2.  The design team was supervised by the WAGR Chief Mechanical Engineer and the ASG bears some similarity to the WAGR S-class.  25 ASG locomotives were allocated to the WAGR.  Although never a WAGR engine, ASG loco G33 survives in Victoria.

592

Dd

4-6-4T

W.A.G.R, built 1946

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

Dd 592 was displayed as a static exhibit at Bassendean from 1972 to 1984,  when it moved to Midland Workshops for restoration by the WAGR, following which it entered tourist and historical train duties in 1985.  Dd 592 was retired again in 1995 after a decade of service (presumably requiring a further overhaul) and was returned to static display at the Railway Museum, Bassendean.

596

Dd

4-6-4T

W.A.G.R, built 1946

Display

Gosnells Railway Market, Gosnells (Perth)

Dd 596 was purchased by the ARHS in 1974 with the intention of restoration to operation, but inspections in 1983 showed the boiler to be uneconomic to repair and sister Dd 592 was restored instead. Dd 596 was statically restored during 1989 and placed on display at Gosnells Railway Markets in 1990.

655

U

4-6-2

North British 24863 of 1942

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

Manufactured as part of the British war effort for North Africa during World War 2, but unused and became war surplus. Identical locomotives were supplied to the Sudan Railways, where I believe some survive derelict. U665 is one of 14 locomotives purchased from the British Ministry of Munitions by the WAGR in 1946. Photo date 9 May 2002.

664

Ut

4-6-4T

North British 24841 of 1942

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

The U-class had been replaced by diesels and retired by 1957, but U664 was converted from a 4-6-2 to a 4-6-4T in 1957 to become the sole member of Ut class. Photo date 9 May 2002.

701

Pm

4-6-2

North British 26545 of 1949

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

The Pm class was designed as a further improvement to the Pr-class passenger engines, but found to be rough riding and so instead used for goods trains. Photo date 9 May 2002.

706

Pm

4-6-2

North British 26550 of 1949

Operational

Hotham Valley Tourist Railway, Pinjarra

Pm706 had been plinthed at Narrogin prior to acquisition by the HVTR and restoration for use on main line tours. Photo (12 May 2002) shows Pm706 resting cold at Pinjarra depot, in an unauthentic but attractive red livery.

720

Pmr

4-6-2

North British 26564 of 1949

Display

Steamtown, Peterborough, South Australia

Pmr 720 was preserved operational at Steamtown Peterborough during the 1980's and 1990's, where it is displayed in the Peterborough roundhouse (together with W901 and W907) between duties.  This photo is kindly provided by Nic Doncaster and shows Pmr720 at Steamtown after its initial restoration.  Nic Doncaster has also provided a second photo which shows Pmr720 departing Peterborough in approx. 1988.

721

Pmr

4-6-2

North British 26565 of 1949

Display

Northam

Pmr721 is displayed within a museum based on the Northam railway station.  This photograph is kindly provided by Stuart Jackson, and shows Pmr721 within the museum at Northam on 16 November 2001.

729

Pmr

4-6-2

North British 26924 of 1949

Display

Coolgardie Station (museum)

This photograph is kindly provided by Stuart Jackson, and shows Pmr729 displayed alongside the platform at the Coolgardie Railway Station (which is now a museum) on 29 November 2002.

735

Pmr

4-6-2

North British 26930 of 1950

Workshop

Willis Light Engineering, Riverdale

Pmr735 had been plinthed at Tuart Hill for many years.  It was later acquired privately and taken to Willis Light Engineering for restoration prior to use by the Pemberton Tramway Co.  This photo is kindly provided by Jenni Cassidy and shows Pmr735 at Willis Light Engineering; the photo suggests that the restoration has not progressed far.

901

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7378 of 1951

Display

Steamtown, Peterborough, South Australia

The W-class comprised 60 locomotives designed for light lines service.  W 901, W 907 and Pmr720 entered preservation in 1978 when sold to the Steamtown Peterborough Preservation Society in South Australia, being delivered to Peterborough in early 1979.  W 901 operated tourist services on the Orroroo line until 2002 and is now statically displayed in one of the roundhouse bays in the excellent Steamtown Museum.

903

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7380 of 1951

Operational

Hotham Valley Tourist Railway, Pinjarra

W 903 entered preservation in July 1977 when sold to the Pinjarra Steam & Hills Preservation Society (now known as the Hotham Valley Tourist Railway). It was restored at their Pinjarra depot and is generally maintained in operable condition for tourist services.  W 903 has been named 'Marrimup' by the Hotham Valley Tourist Railway.

907

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7384 of 1951

Display

Steamtown, Peterborough, South Australia

After several years of storage by the WAGR, W 907 was transferred to South Australia in 1979 for preservation at Steamtown Peterborough.  It has since been cosmetically restored by Steamtown volunteers and placed on display outside the Peterborough roundhouse.

908

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7385 of 1951

Stored

Hotham Valley Tourist Railway, Pinjarra

W 908 entered preservation in March 1979 when sold to the Pinjarra Steam & Hills Preservation Society (now known as the Hotham Valley Tourist Railway), paired with the tender from W 958.  W 908 has been named 'Dwellingup' in preservation.  I understand that in recent years W 908 has been stored for parts at Pinjarra.

916

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7393 of 1951

Operational

Pichi Richi Railway, Quorn, South Australia

W 916 was acquired by the Pichi Richi Railway Society in 1974 and moved to Quorn in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia.  W 916 was originally intended as a donor of heavy spares for the Pichi Richi's operating W-class locomotives W 933 & W 934 however fate provided a kind turn when the PRRPS obtained Silverton Tramway W 22 for restoration, however it was found to be more expedient to restore W 916 in its place.  W 916's restoration to operation (in the guise of Silverton W 22) was completed in April 2003.

919

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7396 of 1951

Display

Esperance

W 919 was sold to the Esperance Bay Historical Society in 1974 and can now be seen displayed at the Esperance Museum, which is based in the former railway goods shed.

920

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7397 of 1951

Operational

Hotham Valley Tourist Railway, Pinjarra

W 920 was sold in 1976 to the Pinjarra Steam & Hills Preservation Society (now known as the Hotham Valley Tourist Railway) and restored for tourist operations, being based at their Pinjarra depot.  W 920 was named "Sir Ross McLarty" for a period but now carries the name "Pinjarra".

924

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7401 of 1951

Display

Old Ghan Railway, Alice Springs, NT

W 924 was originally displayed at Albany until acquired by the Ghan Preservation Society in the mid-1980's and restored to operation for use on the Old Ghan Railway at Alice Springs.  In more recent years it has been statically displayed at the Old Ghan Railway museum and depot at Macdonnell station, just south of Alice Springs.

931

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7408 of 1951

Stored

Pichi Richi Railway, Quorn, South Australia

W 931 was one of the final steam locomotives remaining in WAGR storage.  It was acquired by the Pichi Richi Railway and transferred to South Australia in 1980.  W 931 has been kept in the long-term storage shed at Quorn for many years.

933

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7410 of 1951

Stored

Pichi Richi Railway, Quorn, South Australia

W 933 & W 934 were purchased by the newly-formed Pichi Richi Railway Preservation Society in early 1974.  Both were transferred to the Pichi Richi Railway's depot at Quorn in the rugged Flinders Ranges, South Australia and returned to operation.  W 933 & W 934 have been stalwarts of the Pichi Richi Railway's steam fleet since their restoration and capably handle trains through the steep and curvaceous Pichi Richi Pass.  In 2011, W 933 was withdrawn from service and is now stored in the Quorn depot, pending overhaul.

934

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7411 of 1951

Operational

Pichi Richi Railway, Quorn, South Australia

W 933 & W 934 were purchased by the newly-formed Pichi Richi Railway Preservation Society in early 1974. Both were transferred to the Pichi Richi Railway's depot at Quorn in the rugged Flinders Ranges, South Australia and returned to operation.  W 933 & W 934 have been stalwarts of the Pichi Richi Railway's steam fleet since their restoration and capably handle trains through the steep and curvaceous Pichi Richi Pass.

943

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7455 of 1952

Display

Collie Museum

W 943 is displayed at the Collie Museum, together with V 1215 and Fs 452.  It carries the numberplates of scrapped sister W 948.

945

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7457 of 1952

Operational

Hotham Valley Tourist Railway, Pinjarra

W 945 entered preservation in July 1977 when sold to the Pinjarra Steam & Hills Preservation Society (now known as the Hotham Valley Tourist Railway).  It was restored at their Pinjarra depot for tourist operations and now carries the name 'Banksiadale'.

947

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7459 of 1952

Stored

Hotham Valley Tourist Railway, Pinjarra

W 947 had been used on tourist trains at Albany until sold to the ARHS in 1984 and moved to Bassendean for restoration.  The planned overhaul did not eventuate and W 947 was sold to the Hotham Valley Tourist Railway in early 2011.

953

W

4-8-2

Beyer Peacock 7465 of 1952

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

W 953 was officially withdrawn by the WAGR in August 1972.  It was selected to represent the class in preservation and transferred to the Australian Railway Historical Society (WA Division) in December 1972.  W 953 is displayed at the Railway Museum, Bassendean in the attractive green livery that the class featured in WAGR service.

1209

V

2-8-2

Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn 7778 of 1955

Workshop

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff, Victoria

V 1209 was stored by the WAGR during the 1970's before acquisition by the Bellarine Railway and transfer to Victoria in 1982.  V 1209 has since been restored to operation and named 'Gary G McDonald'.

1213

V

2-8-2

Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn 7782 of 1955

Operational

Pemberton Tramway Co, Pemberton

V 1213 is privately owned and has been restored to operation for use on occasional mainline tours and is based at Pemberton by the Pemberton Tramway Co.

1215

V

2-8-2

Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn 7784 of 1956

Display

Collie

V 1215 is displayed a local museum, together with W 943 and Fs 452.

1220

V

2-8-2

Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn 7789 of 1956

Display

Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth

V 1220 is preserved as an exhibit in the ARHS Railway Museum at Bassendean.