Displayed at Collie Museum
This photograph is kindly provided by Stuart Jackson and shows V1215 at the Collie Museum on 14 November 2001.
The WAGR V-class locomotives were built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Ltd under subcontract to Beyer-Peacock & Co, who were unable to fill the order for 24 V-class 2-8-2 main-line freight engines within the required delivery timeframe. V 1215 was built in 1955 as Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn Ltd builder's number 7784, and also carries Beyer Peacock & Co builder's number 7740.
The V-class proved to be very capable and successful locomotives and lasted to the very end of WAGR steam traction. The majority of the class (including V 1215) were withdrawn in June 1971, although V 1208 / 1218 / 1219 and 1220 lasted until August 1972. Photos from that period show long lines of withdrawn S, W and V-class locomotives awaiting scrapping at Midland Workshops.
V 1215 was sold to the Collie Tourist Bureau in 1974. Today it is displayed in the Collie Museum, together with W 943 and Fs 452.
|a||A. Gunzburg 'A history of WAGR Steam Locomotives', published by ARHS (Western Australian Division) 1984. pp138 - 140.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 26 November 2013