Formerly plinthed at Rockingham
This photo was kindly contributed by Warwick Madden (from his father's slide collection) and shows G55 plinthed at Rockingham.
The date is thought to be about 1965.
This locomotive was built by Neilson & Co (builder's number 4833 of 1895) for the West Australian Government Railways (WAGR), receiving the road number G 55. The WAGR G-class comprised both 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 versions of this classic Beyer Peacock & Company design, G 55 being one of the 2-6-0 version.
G 55 was plinthed in a park at Rockingham in 1965, however it was subsequently cut up for scrap. a
Any further information about the date and circumstance of this locomotive's unfortunate demise would be appreciated.
|a||A. Gunzburg 'A history of WAGR steam locomotives', published by ARHS (Western Australian Division), 1984. pp32|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 15 October 2013