Kalamunda Historic Village
G 118 displayed at the Kalamunda Historic Village on 23 May 2007.
This fine study of G 118 was contributed by Bill Turner.
This locomotive was built by Dubs & Co. of Glasgow, Scotland (builder's number 3502 of 1897) for the West Australian Government Railways, receiving the road number G 118. The WAGR G-class comprised both 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 versions of this classic Beyer Peacock & Company design, with class members supplied by Beyer Peacock & Co, James Martin of Gawler, Neilson & Co and Dubs & Co. G 118 is one of the 4-6-0 version of the G-class.
G 118 was placed in store by the WAGR in 1966 and formally withdrawn on 31 July 1968. Fortunately it was sold for preservation to Kalamunda Shire and subsequently placed on displayed at the old Kalamunda railway station, which is now incorporated within the Kalamunda Historic Village museum.
This view was provided by Warwick Madden (from his father's slide collection) and shows G118 shunting in approximately 1963.
|a||A. Gunzburg 'A history of WAGR steam locomotives', published by ARHS (Western Australian Division), 1984.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 17 October 2013