No.

Photo

Wheel Arrang't

Builder's No & Year

Status

Location

Notes

Kerang & Koondrook Tramway

5' 3" Gauge

( - )

4wVBT

Replica, built 1984

Display

Koondrook

The Kerang & Koondrook Tramway was built in 1889 to connect the Murray River port of Koondrook with the Victorian Railways line to Melbourne at Kerang.  A replica of the Sentinel locomotive which had worked the line was constructed in 1984 and placed on display at Koondrook station, in the town's main street.

Australian Portland Cement, Fyansford

3' 6" Gauge

2

2-6-0+0-6-2

Beyer Peacock 6935 of 1939

Display

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff

Fyansford No.2 was one of two Beyer-Garratts built new for Australian Portland Cement, Fyansford, to substantially the same design as the WAGR Ms-class and VR G-class.  Fyansford No.2 had been displayed under a weather roof at the Puffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek for many years, but moved to the Bellarine Railway in June 2010.

4

0-6-0ST

Vulcan Iron Works 2539 of 1916

Under repair

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff

No.4 is one of four identical Vulcan locos imported for construction work at Henderson Naval Base, WA.  No.4 is preserved at the Bellarine Railway and is currently awaiting overhaul and return to service.

5

0-6-0ST

Vulcan Iron Works 2540 of 1916

Dismantled

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff

No.5 is one of four identical Vulcan locos imported for construction work at Henderson Naval Base, WANo.5 was originally plinthed in a park at Ringwood until acquired for the Bellarine Railway, where it is now dismantled awaiting heavy overhaul.

6

Refer to the Wallaroo Smelter shunter, South Australia (No.6, Hudswell Clarke B/N 646 of 1903)

G 33

4-8-2+2-8-4

VR Newport Workshop, built 1943

Under restoration

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff

The Australian Standard Garratt (ASG) was proposed and designed by the Commonwealth Land Transport Board in 1942 in response to the urgent need for powerful locomotives for the 3' 6" gauge railways of Australia during World War 2.  G33 was used by Australian Portland Cement, Fyansford and is the only surviving ASG locomotive.  After many years of static display at North Williamstown, G33 was transferred to the Bellarine Railway in 2011 and is now under restoration to operation.

11

Refer to Perry B/N 267 of 1926 (Fyansford No.11) below, originally owned by the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission of Victoria.

State Rivers and Water Supply Commission of Victoria

3' 6" Gauge

Kilrie

0-4-2T

Perry 265 of 1924

Operational

Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway, Swanbank. Queensland

This locomotive was one of twelve 0-4-0T locomotives purchased by the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission of Victoria for construction of the Hume Weir on the Murray River, near Albury.  At completion of construction duties in 1935 it was sold to the Pioneer Sugar Mill, Brandon, Queensland where it received the name “Kilrie”.  In 1960 it was modified from 0-4-0T to 0-4-2T wheel arrangement, together with conversion from coal to oil firing.

11

0-4-0T

Perry 267 of 1926

Under restoration

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff

No.11 was last used by Australian Portland Cement, Fyansford, and has been displayed under a weather roof at the Puffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek for many years.  Together with a number of other locomotives, Fyansford No.11 moved from the Menzies Creek Museum to the Bellarine Railway on 7 June 2010.

Klondyke

0-4-2T

Perry 271 of 1927

Operational

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff

This locomotive was last used by Pioneer Mill in Queensland, where it was known as Klondyke.  Today Klondyke operates at the Bellarine Railway, and often stars in Thomas the Tank Engine theme days.

Other Users

915mm Gauge

( - )

(Photo required)

0-4-2T

Fowler 15989 of 1923

Stored dismantled

Huntingdale

The Warburton Tram Fowler was originally used by H. Hermon & Sons on the Warburton Steam Tramway, Victoria, where it was out of use at Lal Lal from 1934.  It became No.6 at Mt. Morgan Mines Ltd., Queensland in 1940, where it was out of use by 1954.  After several moves it is now thought to be at Huntingdale, Victoria.

Other Users

2' 6" Gauge

Climax (1694)

B-type

Climax 1694 of 1928

Operational

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave, Victoria

Climax 1694 operated on a timber tramway near Erica before retirement and preservation at the Puffing Billy Railway.  It was restored to operation in 1988 but was again withdrawn from service in 2001  when stopped for major boiler repairs.  The reward for more than 10 years or effort, fund raising and $700,000 expenditure came on 8 September 2013 when Climax 1694 hauled its first revenue train since overhaul.

14

A-type

Lima 2549 of 1912

Display

Puffing Billy Museum, Menzies Creek

Alishan Forest Railway No.14 was imported to Australia for preservation in approximately 1974 and is displayed at the Puffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek.  The Alishan Forest Railway in Taiwan featured a large fleet of Shay locomotives and many still survive, together with a portion of the railway which is now a tourist operation.

3

0-6-0WT

Orenstein & Koppel 12331 of 1931

Display

Puffing Billy Museum, Menzies Creek

Ex-Sub Nigel Gold Mines Ltd, South Africa.  O&K 12331 was obtained for preservation by the Puffing Billy Railway Preservation Society and has been displayed since the 1970's at the Puffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek.

Sir John Grice

0-4-0ST

Peckett 1711 of 1926

Operational

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave, Victoria

Ex-West Melbourne Gas Works.  Sir John Grice’ regularly appears as ‘Thomas the Tank Engine’ at Puffing Billy Railway theme events, shrouded in an overall fibreglass case to resemble the famously useful blue engine.  At other times it wears a more discrete Thomas-style face on the smokebox; it this guise I believe it is known as ‘Peter Peckett’.

861

2-4-2ST

Couilett 861 of 1886

(Supplied by Decauville

as B/N 43 of 1886)

Operational

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave, Victoria

Ex-West Melbourne Gas Works.  No.861 ‘J. C. Rees’ was built as a 0-4-0T but extensively rebuilt to an ‘Americanised’ 2-4-2ST configuration in the 1970’s for use on the Thomson River Tramway at Walhalla.  It is now used for Footplate Experience operations at the Puffing Billy Railway.

Carbon

0-4-0T

Couilett 986 of 1889

(Supplied by Decauville

as B/N 90 of 1890)

Operational

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave, Victoria

Ex-West Melbourne Gas Works.  Carbon’ operated at the Frankston 'Whistle Stop' fun park during the 1970's.  I understand the loco is privately owned and leased to the PBR.

103 'Spirit of Baw Baw'

0-6-0T

Henschel 25427 of 1956

Operational

Walhalla Goldfields Railway, Victoria

ex-Chonburi Sugar Mill, Thailand. This interesting loco is one of two sister machines imported for preservation; refer to the No.103 page for further information.

Other Users

700mm Gauge

3

0-4-4-0T

Orenstein & Koppel 3770 of 1909

?

Formerly: Stored

Exported

Formerly: Melbourne suburbs

This locomotive was purchased for private preservation from Krebet Baru Sugar Mill in Indonesia, where it was No.3 and imported to Australia.  It was sold to another private owner in October 2009 and has now left the country.

11

(Photo required)

0-8-0T

Hanomag 10410 of 1925

Privately owned

Privately preserved in USA

Krebet Baru Sugar Mill (Indonesia) No.11 was purchased for private preservation and imported to Australia in 1987 (together with Krebet Baru Sugar Mill No.3 above) and stored at a suburban Bayswater, Melbourne location.  It is believed to have been on-sold and exported to the USA in approximately 1989.

Other Users

2' Gauge

Margaret

0-4-0ST

Bagnall 1801 of 1906

Operational

Cobdogla Irrigation & Steam Museum, SA

"Margaret" was one of two identical units delivered to the Long Tunnel Extended Gold Mines at Walhalla, Vic.  Originally built to the gauge of 2ft 6in, Bagnall 1801 was converted to 2ft gauge for operation on the Cobdogla to Loveday Light Railway in South Australia.  In 1959 it was placed in a park at Barmera but later retrieved and restored to operation by the Cobdogla Irrigation & Steam Museum.

Newbold

(1024)

0-4-0PM

Originally Krauss 2179 of 1889

Operational (Petrol)

ILRMS,

Albion Park,

 NSW

Newbold actually started life as a 0-4-0WT steam locomotive.  It served on NSWGR railway construction duties from 1910 to 1936, during which time it was known as NSWGR Lo.43 and later renumbered to 1024.  It was sold to industry in 1936 and rebuilt as a petrol mechanical locomotive in 1938.  It is now an operating exhibit at the ILRMS, Albion Park.

( - )

0-4-0WT

Krauss 2181 of 1889

Under restoration

Bennett Brook Railway, Whiteman Park

Krauss 2181 of 1889 was one of 6 locos imported by construction contractor John Robb for construction work.  It is now under restoration at the Bennett Brook Railway workshops in preparation for static display.

14P

0-6-0T

Porter 6465  of 1920

?

Formerly: Stored dismantled

Exported

Formerly: Melbourne suburbs

This locomotive was purchased for private preservation from Victorias Mill on the island of Negros, Philippines, where it was No.14P.

127

2-6-2+2-6-2

Beyer Peacock 7428 of 1951

Stored

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave, Victoria

No. 127 is a 2'-gauge ex-South African Railways 'NGG16' class Beyer-Garratt locomotive.   It has been purchased by the Emerald Tourist Railway Board for the Puffing Billy Railway.

129

2-6-2+2-6-2

Beyer Peacock 7430 of 1951

Under restoration

Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave, Victoria

No. 129 is a 2'-gauge ex-South African Railways 'NGG16' class Beyer-Garratt locomotive which was acquired by the PBR and imported to Australia in 1996.  Restoration to operation is steadily proceeding in the Puffing Billy workshops, with the refurbished boiler returned to the frames during 2015.