|No.||Photo||Wheel Arrang't||Builder's No. & Year||Status||Location||Notes|
|Emu Bay Railway|
|3' 6" Gauge|
|6||4-8-0||Dubs 3854 of 1900||Display||West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum, Zeehan||EBR Nos.6 & 8 are the survivors of a class of four locomotives (others were Nos.7 & 11). The two survivors were chosen to operate the "West Coaster" passenger service on the EBR between Oct. 1960 and Nov.1963: for this duty, they were taken out of storage, overhauled, fitted with valences and smoke deflectors, painted in EBR's 'Two Blues' livery and converted to oil firing. In preservation, No.6 has been repainted black, with the 1960's valences and deflectors removed. EBR No.6 is now displayed outdoors under a weather roof at the excellent West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum at Zeehan, as seen in this photo of 8 May 2003.|
|8||4-8-0||Dubs 3856 of 1900||Operational||Don River Railway, Don||EBR No.8 'Heemskirk' was plinthed on the Burnie foreshore in February 1968, but was rescued by the VDRS Don during the 1980's and restored through extensive overhaul during the late 1980s and early 1990's. During restoration, No.8 has been converted back to coal firing and repainted black, with the 1960's valences and deflectors removed. This photo is kindly provided by Anthony Winstone and shows EBR No.8 'Heemskirk' within the running shed at Don on 7 November 2004.|
|Mt Lyell Mining & Railway Company|
|3' 6" Gauge|
|Abt No.1||0-4-2RT||Dubs 3369 of 1896||Operational||West Coast Wilderness Railway, Queenstown||Abt No.1 was donated to the West Coast Pioneers Museum, Zeehan by the Mt Lyell Mining & Railway Company after closure of their line in 1963, and was displayed for many years at Zeehan. In about 1998 it was removed (under loan) and restored to operation for the West Coast Wilderness Railway.|
|Abt No.2||0-4-2RT||Dubs 3594 of 1898||Display||Tasmanian Transport Museum, Glenorchy, Hobart||Abt No.2 was donated to the TTM, Glenorchy by the Mt Lyell Mining & Railway Company after closure of their line in 1963.|
|Abt No.3||0-4-2RT||Dubs 3730 of 1898||Operational||West Coast Wilderness Railway, Queenstown||Abt No.3 was preserved at 'Miners Siding', Queenstown until 1998 when it departed for restored on the West Coast Wilderness Railway.|
|Abt No.4||-||0-4-2RT||Dubs 4085 of 1901||Buried||Queenstown||Abt No.4 was the least favoured of the 5 Abt locos by crews of the Mount Lyell Mining & Railway Co, being "all show and no go". When the line was closed in 1963, Abt No.4 was adapted for static use at the company limestone quarry, where it was later buried.|
|Abt No.5||0-4-2RT||North British 24418 of 1938||Operational||West Coast Wilderness Railway, Queenstown||Abt No.5 was purchased by the ARHS Victoria after closure of the Mt Lyell railway in 1963 and sent to Puffing Billy's Menzies Creek museum. Abt No.5 has since been acquired by the West Coast Wilderness Railway and re-entered service in June 2006.|
|4||-||0-6-0T||Baldwin ? of ?||Drowned / Components||Queenstown||
Both Abt No 4 and
Baldwin No 4 were apparently
dumped in an old limestone quarry at Queenstown.
|3' 6" Gauge|
|( - )||0-6-0T||Fowler 5265 of 1886||Operational||Don River Railway, Don||This Fowler is an attractive locomotive with an interesting history. It was originally ordered for a gravel tramway at Kiama, NSW, but this venture failed and the loco was sold before use to contractors for construction of government railways in Queensland. It was transferred to Tasmania by 1898 and apparently used in Macquarie Harbour breakwater construction but unused by 1912, and subsequently stored in Hobart station yard for many years after. It is now reaching the end of a protracted restoration at the VDRS, including having a new boiler fabricated, and is seen in this photo inside the workshop at the VDRS, Don on 8 May 2003. UPDATE: This locomotive was returned to operation at the Don River Railway in September 2007.|
|Vertical Boiler||0-4-0VB||Markham & Co, built 1890||Display||Tasmanian Transport Museum, Glenorchy, Hobart||This interesting vertical boiler locomotive is one of only 24 locomotives built by Markham and Co, Chesterfield, England. It was retrieved from the bush and statically restored for display at the Tasmanian Transport Museum.|
|Byers||0-4-4-0||Buyers, Hobart, 1912||Remains (bogie)||Raminea||This interesting locomotive "Byers" was a double-bogie chain and rod driven engine built about 1912 in Hobart by Andrew B. Buyers for use on the Chesterman's logging tramway at Raminea in Southern Tasmania. A bogie survives at Raminea.|
|Wyett's Beaconsfield Tramway|
|( - )||0-4-0T||Kerr Stuart 685 of 1900||Frame, wheels, cab & tanks only||Beaconsfield Mine & Heritage Centre||Light Railways No 196 carried a news article and photo describing the remains of Kerr Stuart 685 of 1900 (frame, wheels, cab & tanks) being recovered from Camden, Tasmania for restoration to display at the Beaconsfield Mine Museum in northern Tasmania.|
|Tasmanian Timber & Tramway Co.|
|2' 6" Gauge|
|Edie||0-6-0T||Krauss 6486 of 1912||Frame only, dumped||Warrentina||Two locomotives were purchased by the Tasmanian Timber & Tramway Co for their timber tramway from Bridport to Forester. Both ended their days at a timber mill at Warrentina, where the remains of this Krauss locomotive are dumped.|
|Abe||0-4-0T||Orenstein & Koppel 4631 of 1911||Frame only, dumped||Warrentina||Two locomotives were purchased by the Tasmanian Timber & Tramway Co for their timber tramway from Bridport to Forester. Both ended their days at a timber mill at Warrentina, where the remains of this Orenstein & Koppel locomotive are dumped.|
|6||0-4-2T||Hunslet 1844 of 1936||Stored||Don River Railway, Don||Ex-Ida Bay Tramway. This loco originally featured a 'steam-tram' style overall roof. No.6 had been loaned in the late 1990's to its original railway, the Lune River Railway, which now operates as a tourist line. However it is now under overhaul at the VDRS, Don, as seen in this photo taken inside the workshops on 8 May 2003.|
|( - )||0-4-0WT||Hudswell Clarke 1423 of 1922||Operational||Southern Highlands Vintage Machinery Museum, North Menangle||Originally National Portland Cement, Maria Island, Tasmania. The loco was later purchased by Corrimal Coal & Coke in about 1944. This photo shows Hudswell Clarke 1423 in the running shed at the Southern Highlands Vintage Machinery Museum at North Menangle (near Campbelltown, Sydney). It carries a builder's plate that reads "Robert Hudson Ltd, Engine No. 1423, Gildersome Foundry, near Leeds England' but is listed in other sources as a Hudswell Clarke product.|
|Wee Georgie Wood||0-4-0WT||Fowler 16203 of 1924||Operational||
Georgie Wood Steam Railway Inc.
The Tullah Tramway connected the isolated mining town of Tullah with the Emu Bay Railway by a short 2' gauge route. The original locomotive to work the line was this locomotive which carried the name "Wee Georgie Wood" and over time the train itself came to be affectionately known by this name. Today Wee Georgie Wood and a portion of the Tullah Tramway are run by a local community group as a tourist operation.
|Wee Mary||0-4-0WT||Fowler 17732 of 1928||Frame & Wheels only||Ida Bay Railway, Lune River||The Tullah Tramway were presumably pleased with the operation of their 0-4-0WT locomotive "Wee Georgie Wood" as a second locomotive "Wee Mary" followed a few years later. The derelict frames and wheels of Wee Mary can be found at the Lune River sidings of the Ida Bay Railway in Tasmania's south.|
|Lukee||0-4-2T||Kerr Stuart 742 of 1901||Operational||Red Cliffs Historic Steam Railway Inc., Victoria||Lukee had been plinthed at Red Cliff since retirement in 1954. In 1994 this interesting locomotive was restored by the Red Cliffs Historical Steam Railway Inc. for operation on their tourist railway. Today Lukee is the only complete survivor of 15 Kerr Stuart locomotives imported to Australia.|
|2||0-4-0T||Krauss 4087 / 5800 of 1899 / 1907||Stored||West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum, Zeehan||This little Krauss loco No.2 was plinthed in a playground at Devonport from 1965. In 1983 it was acquired by the West Coast Pioneers Museum and is now stored at the rear of their museum at Zeehan.|
|8||0-4-0WT||Krauss 5480 of 1906||Display||West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum, Zeehan||Ex-Mt Lyell Mining & Railway Company No.8 Krauss 5480 is displayed outdoors under a weather roof at the excellent West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum, as seen in this photo of 8 May 2003.|
|( - )||0-4-0T||Krauss 5682 / 5800 of 1906 / 1907||Operational||Redwater Creek Tramway, Sheffield||Ex-Commonwealth Carbide. This locomotive was apparently rebuilt using the other half of Krauss B/N 5800! (Refer to Krauss 4087 above). This photo is kindly provided by Russell Dunn and shows Krauss 5682 working at the Redwater Creek Tramway in 1997.|
|9||0-4-0T||Krauss 5988 of 1908||Workshop||
Georgie Wood Steam Railway Inc.
This much-travelled locomotive wasfor the Mt Lyell Mining & Railway Co, becoming No.9 on their roster. It worked at the Ida Bay Railway from 1947 before moving to the Tullah Tramway in 1949. Krauss 5988 was initially preserved at the Van Diemen Railway Society at Don in 1972. It moved back to Tullah in 1993 and has been assessed of overhaul but the old boiler was found to be beyond repair.
|10||0-4-0T||Krauss 6067 of 1910||Display||Invermay Rail Heritage Precinct, Launceston||Mt. Lyell Krauss No.10 was purchased by the Queen Victoria museum in 1970 and transferred to Launceston by road. It was loaded onto a TGR KG flat wagon and stored outside the roundhouse for some years until the Tasmanian Steam Preservation Society negotiated a lease of the loco for running on their private line 'The Second River Tramway' at Karoola. No.10 subsequently moved to the Redwater Creek Tramway, Sheffield. In July 2001 No.10 moved again for static display at the Queen Victoria Museum & Art Gallery, which has been established at the former TGR railway workshops at Invermay as seen in this photo kindly provided by Stuart Dix.|
|( - )||0-4-0T||Orenstein & Koppel 718 of 1901||Frames only||Lune River||This unidentified set of locomotive frames is stored together with those of "Wee Mary" at the Lune River sidings of the Ida Bay Railway in Tasmania's south. These may be the remains of O&K 718.|
|3||0-4-4-0T||Orenstein & Koppel 2609 of 1907||Workshop||Bennett Brook Railway, Whiteman Park, WA||This interesting locomotive is the survivor of two which originally worked on the Magnet Tramway on the Tasmanian West Coast. It later worked in the WA goldfields in the Kalgoorlie area. It is the only Mallet locomotive preserved in Australia, and is under restoration to operation on the Bennett Brook Railway. Russell Dunn has kindly provided these photographs dated 26 February 2006 showing the chassis and boiler; I understand that the chassis has been fully overhauled and the boiler is generally sound, but replacement side tanks, cab and bunker await fabrication. The Bennett Brook Railway website also features a history and restoration summary for this interesting locomotive.|
For an overview of railway operations and preservation in Tasmania, refer to the excellent TasTrain site.