Bogie remains at Raminea
Tristan Verhoeff has provided this viewof the "Byers" loco in new condition at Raminea.
This interesting locomotive was a double-bogie chain and rod driven engine built about 1912 in Hobart by Andrew B. Buyers for use on the Chesterman's logging tramway at Raminea, south of Dover in Southern Tasmania. The engine was known on the tram as "Byers" and was replaced by a diesel engine in 1939. a
Later in the 1940's parts of the Byers locomotive were used in the building of another diesel loco used on the Chesterman's tram, known as "Caterpillar". The Byers underframe and one of the two bogies were the main parts used, combined with parts from a Caterpillar tractor. It was modified to be powered by a drive shaft instead of a chain drive, while the original side rods coupled the wheels. a
After the tramway's closure in the early 1950's the steam engine bogie was used in a display outside the old Dover sawmill. The display was dismantled and taken inside the Dover mill in 2005. The old Byers steam engine bogie and the remains of an old diesel logging loco that also worked at Raminea were still there in 2006. a
Tristan Verhoeff has also provided this photo one of Byers powered bogies at the Dover mill in 2006.
|a||Information provided by Tristan Verhoeff via email dated 28 June 2011.|
Page updated: 23 August 2011