No.

Photo

Wheel Arrang't

Builder's No & Year

Status

Location

Notes

Broken Hill Associated Smelters, Port Pirie

3' 6" Gauge

Pozieres

0-6-0T

Barclay 1543 of 1919

Operational

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff

 

Pozieres, Polygon, Peronne, Passchendaele and Port Pirie were shunters at the Broken Hill Associated Smelters, Port Pirie.  Four members of the class were named after WW1 battles.  Pozieres was statically displayed at the Puffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek for many years, but is now being restored to operation at the Bellarine Railway.

Peronne

0-6-0T

Barclay 1545 of 1919

Operational

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

Peronne was originally preserved as a static exhibit in the ARHS Railway Museum at Mile End, Adelaide. It was restored to operation at Mile End in 1987 in preparation for the move of the Mile End collection to the new National Railway Museum site at Port Adelaide.  Peronne now resides in the loco running shed at the NRM, Port Adelaide and is occasionally demonstrated in steam on the 3' 6" sections of the NRM's mixed gauge railway network.

Passchendaele

0-6-0T

Barclay 1546 of 1919

Display

Homestead Park Pioneer Museum, Port Augusta

Passchendaele was originally plinthed in a school playground at Port Pirie.  It is now a static exhibit at the Homestead Park Pioneer Museum in Port Augusta.

Port Pirie

0-6-0T

Barclay 1955 of 1928

Display

Port Pirie

Old Station Museum

Port Pirie is plinthed in a small courtyard within the Port Pirie Old Station Museum, a short distance from the smelters where it once worked.

BHP Whyalla

3' 6" Gauge

2

2-6-2T

Beyer Peacock 3357 of 1891

Display

Mt Laura Homestead, Whyalla

BHP Whyalla No.2 is a 2-6-2T version of the successful Beyer, Peacock & Co 2-6-0 tender locomotive design.  BHP Whyalla No.2 had been plinthed on the Whyalla foreshore from 1963 and was relocated to the Mt Laura Homestead in 1983.

4

4-6-0

Baldwin 41242 of 1914

Display

National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide

BHP Whyalla No.4 was one of two 4-6-0 engines supplied for use on iron ore trains from the mines at Iron Baron to the port at Whyalla.

Other Users

3' 6" Gauge

6

0-4-2ST

Hudswell Clarke 646 of 1903

Operational

Bellarine Railway, Queenscliff, Victoria

This loco is the sole survivor of a group of works shunters from the Wallaroo & Moonta Mining & Smelting Co. Ltd's copper operations on Yorke's Peninsular.  Following closure of the Wallaroo smelter in 1923 the locomotive fleet was dispersed to a variety of industrial owners.  No.6 was one of four that were sold to Australian Portland Cement for use at the Fyansford Cement Works, near Geelong.  It is now preserved operational at the Bellarine Railway.

3

0-4-0ST

Hudswell Clarke 928 of 1910

Under Restoration

Friends of the North Australia Railway, Adelaide River, NT

This handsome loco  was originally imported for the Wallaroo Phosphate Company, South Australia.  At a later stage it moved to Queensland where it became Mt Isa Mines No.3.  It was plinthed at the entrance to Mt Isa for many years.   In early 2007 Mt Isa Mines No.3 was gifted by Mt Isa Rotary Club to the Friends of the North Australia Railway, and relocated to Adelaide River, NT.