Broken Hill Associated Smelters
This photo of 24 November 2006 was provided by Marc Hryciuk at shows Passchendaele on display at the Homestead Park Pioneer Museum.
Pozieres was built by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. at Kilmarnock, Scotland (builder's number 1546 of 1918) for the British War Department. It was one of four acquired in 1919 as war surplus by the Broken Hill Associated Smelters (BHAS) for shunting duties at their smelting works at Port Pirie, South Australia. (a) The four were named Pozieres, Polygon, Peronne and Passchendaele after significant World War 1 battles on the Western Front in which the Australian Infantry Force fought. (c)
Passchendale was originally plinthed in a school playground at Port Pirie. It is now a static exhibit at the Homestead Park Pioneer Museum in Port Augusta.
|a||L. Oberg, 'Locomotives of Australia', published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, Brookvale NSW. 1982 reprint (pp.264)|
|b||Personal observation or comment|
Page updated: 6 May 2011