Manning Wardle & Co B/n 1781 of 1911
This photo shows No.4 on display at the PHM Discovery Centre on 14 July 2007.
This locomotive was built by Manning Wardle & Co (builder's no. 1781 of 1911) to their "H-type" standard design of industrial & construction locomotive, and was and was imported with sister B/N 1780 for railway construction on the North Coast.It later worked at the Potts Hill reservoir construction in Sydney, and was last used by the Metropolitan Water Sewerage & Drainage Board at the Ryde Pumping Station in Sydney.
During 1985 No.4 was restored to operation under contract at the NSWRTM Thirlmere. Since then it has been stored at the Powerhouse Museum's workshop and storage facility at Castle Hill in the Sydney suburbs.
The Powerhouse Museum has recently expanded their Castle Hill site and provided limited opening to the public as the "Discovery Centre."
This locomotive is similar to the preserved NSWGR locomotive 1021.
This information sheet is displayed alongside the locomotive.
This 1985 view shows No.4 under contract restoration at the NSWRTM Thirlmere.
|a||Eardley, G. H. 'Locomotives: A Guide - Enfield Railway Museum', published by the NSWRTM, 1973.|
|b||L. Oberg, 'Locomotives of Australia', published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, Brookvale NSW. 1982 reprint.|
|c||Personal comment or observation.|
Page updated: 10 January 2011