John Fowler & Co. Ltd. b/n 11885 of 1909
This scanned photo shows No. 5 in operation at Alexandra on 1 April 2002.
No.5 was built by John Fowler & Co. Ltd, Leeds as their builder's number 11885 of 1909. It was last used by the Gin Gin Mill, Wallaville. a
No.5 was an exhibit at the Goulburn Museum of Historic Engines from 1972 to 1978. After a spell in Canberra it was purchased for the Alexandra Timber Tramway & Museum in 1981. No.5 has been the regular operating locomotive at the Alexandra Timber Tramway since 1988, excepting periods of overhaul.
The Alexandra Timber Tramway & Museum website contains additional information & photographs for this handsome Fowler locomotive.
A second view of No.5 at Alexandra on 1 April 2002.
|a||Light Railway Research Society of Australia Inc. Web site (viewed 7/9/2013): 'Preserved Australian Sugar Cane Locomotives' list by John Browning (www.lrrsa.org.au/LRR_SGRc.htm)|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 7 September 2013