Beyer Peacock 2509 of 1885
C1 displayed under a weather roof at the West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum at Zeehan on 8 May 2003.
This locomotive was built by Beyer Peacock & Co in 1885 as their builder's number 2509, being one of the Tasmanian Government Railway's C-class 2-6-0 locomotives. 27 original members of this class were supplied by Beyer Peacock & Co. for goods train working; a 28th class member was later acquired secondhand. a, b
This Beyer Peacock locomotive design found buyers in many Australian states; similar locos include the SAR Y-class and the WAGR G-class locos. Private operators ordered yet more examples, including the Silverton Tramway Y-class 2-6-0 locomotives and a 2-6-2T variant. d
Six members of the Tasmanian Government Railways' C-class were later rebuilt to the CC class, which featured a higher-pitch Belpaire boiler and the characteristic TGR front-end comprising an extended / self-cleaning smokebox and stovepipe chimney. A later rebuilding variant was the CCS class which added superheating, Walschaerts valve gear and new cylinders to the CC design. Comparison with preserved locomotive C22 shows the original low-pitch boiler design with round-top firebox, whereas C1 retains the original low-pitch boiler but is fitted with an extended smokebox with a vertical smokebox front. b, c
C1 is displayed under a weather roof at the West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum at Zeehan, in company with a number of other railway, mining and geological exhibits showcasing the development of Tasmania's West Coast. This is an excellent museum and well worth a visit.
C1 carries these simple but beautiful brass number plates on the cabsides. 8 May 2003.
An earlier scanned photo view of C1 at the West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum at Zeehan in May 1993.
|a||Dix, A., Beck, D., and Dix M. 'Locomotives of the Tasmanian Transport Museum Glenorchy Tasmania', published by the Tasmanian Transport Museum Society, October 1991.|
|b||Cooper, G & Goss, G 'Tasmanian Railways 1871 - 1996, 125 Years - A Pictorial History' published by C G publishing Company.|
|c||Information provided by Melanie Dennis via email dated 14 July 2004.|
|d||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 27 June 2013