This photo was kindly provided by Stuart Dix and shows M5 on railtour duties.
The photo date is 27 July 2002 and was taken at Colebrook whilst M5 was running a private charter to Parattah.
This locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Ltd in 1951 as their builder's number 7425, being the fifth of ten members the Tasmanian Government Railways' M-class 4-6-2 locomotives. These locomotives were built to the proven design of Indian Railways metre-gauge YB class pacifics. a
M5 retained its original number during the 1957-58 rebuilding by the Tasmanian Government Railways of four "M" class members to "MA" class. a
M5 was donated by the Tasmanian Government Railways to the Tasmanian Transport Museum at Glenorchy, Hobart in November 1974. Today M5 is preserved in operational condition with main line certification; between outings it is displayed within the museum's roundhouse. b
A complete history of the TGR M-class and this locomotive is provided in the exhibit guide book "Locomotives of the Tasmanian Transport Museum". The webmaster considers the TTM a fine museum with a variety of well restored railway, tramway and road exhibits, and thoroughly recommends a visit!
|a||Dix, A., Beck, D., and Dix M. 'Locomotives of the Tasmanian Transport Museum Glenorchy Tasmania', published by the Tasmanian Transport Museum Society, October 1991.|
|b||Cooper, G & Goss, G 'Tasmanian Railways 1871 - 1996, 125 Years - A Pictorial History' published by C G publishing Company.|
|c||Information provided by Melanie Dennis via email dated 14 July 2004.|
|d||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 1 July 2013