Static Exhibit at the Don River Railway
M3 is displayed on a turntable road at Don, as seen (behind and somewhat obscured by H7) in this photo of 8 May 2003.
This locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Ltd in 1951 as their builder's number 7423, being the third of ten members the Tasmanian Government Railways' M-class 4-6-2 locomotives. These locomotives were built to the proven design of Indian Railways metre-gauge YB class pacifics. a, b
Both the Tasmanian Government Railways M & H-class locomotives were of modern design, featuring roller bearings on all axles and throughout the motion and the only Australian classes to be completely fitted-out with roller bearings. They were also fitted with Australian designed SCOA-P wheels which provided greater strength and lower weight; other Australian locomotives fitted with this design of wheel were the Victorian Railways' R & J classes and the Queensland Railway's BB18-1/4 class.
M3 retained its original number during the 1957-58 rebuilding by the Tasmanian Government Railways of four "M" class members to "MA" class. The other class members were renumbered as per the following table:
|Original No.||RS&H Builder's No.||New No. a|
M3 is statically displayed at the Don River Railway at Don in Tasmania's north, being one of four M / MA class locos preserved at this excellent museum and workshop.
|a||L. Oberg, 'Locomotives of Australia', published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, Brookvale NSW. 1982 reprint.|
|b||Dix, A., Beck, D., and Dix M. 'Locomotives of the Tasmanian Transport Museum Glenorchy Tasmania', published by the Tasmanian Transport Museum Society, October 1991.|
|c||Cooper, G & Goss, G 'Tasmanian Railways 1871 - 1996, 125 Years - A Pictorial History' published by C G publishing Company.|
|d||Information provided by Melanie Dennis via email dated 14 July 2004.|
|e||Webmaster's observation or comment.|
Page updated: 1 July 2013